Mullins since August 1 2021

Sports Guy

Mullins slash line since the beginning of August of last year is 238/307/422.

While the slugging is ok, it’s been poor this year and yes I know stats are down but again, plenty of players are still performing well.  And obviously, this is a guy you want to see with a better BA/OBP combo.

Good player but one we can live without.  Hope to see him get hot soon and put himself into position to fetch a good value in the trade market.  If so, get rid of him.  

His 2021 was probably a career year so he's not likely to reach that again but he's probably a good bit better than what he has shown so far this season. We'll have a better idea who he really is at the end of the year - nobody's beating the door down in farm system so no need to make a move with him now. 

1 minute ago, vab said:

His 2021 was probably a career year so he's not likely to reach that again but he's probably a good bit better than what he has shown so far this season. We'll have a better idea who he really is at the end of the year - nobody's beating the door down in farm system so no need to make a move with him now. 

You make a move when the value is there.  And you can slide Hays to CF and Stowers can come up.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You make a move when the value is there.  And you can slide Hays to CF and Stowers can come up.

I see what you're saying but I just don't see the rush. Hays has been very injury prone so he might end up being the guy you want to move - gotta let things play out more. 

4 minutes ago, vab said:

I see what you're saying but I just don't see the rush. Hays has been very injury prone so he might end up being the guy you want to move - gotta let things play out more. 

The rush?  Who is rushing?  You don't just sit around and wait to trade guys.  If the value is there (we'll see) and if you question if he can be part of the next really good/contending team (we should be doubting this), then you trade him.

What you are waiting to see?  

24 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s possible.  His launch angle is way up this year.  He also isn’t hitting the ball as hard.

Good point about the launch angle.   19.2 vs. 14.8 last year.    I also feel like he’s grounding into the shift more often this year.  

I expect Mancini to be traded in the next two months and Stowers to be brought up to replace him. If one of Hays, Mullins or Santander is traded that would mean relying on Diaz to stay healthy or McKenna (or DJ Stewart) to play everyday. I am not particularly comfortable with any of those possibilities.

Obviously if you are blown away with an offer, you make the trade but it would take a very good offer to trade any of those guys at this point as there aren't any other outfielders on the immediate horizon. Cowser, Kjerstad, and Haskin are all at least a year away.

Just now, MurphDogg said:

I expect Mancini to be traded in the next two months and Stowers to be brought up to replace him. If one of Hays, Mullins or Santander is traded that would mean relying on Diaz to stay healthy or McKenna (or DJ Stewart) to play everyday. I am not particularly comfortable with any of those possibilities.

Obviously if you are blown away with an offer, you make the trade but it would take a very good offer to trade any of those guys at this point and there isn't really any other outfielders on the immediate horizon. Cowser, Kjerstad, and Haskin are all at least a year away.

Any decision made with the thought of this year is an extremely short sighted one and that is essentially what you are doing here.

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Any decision made with the thought of this year is an extremely short sighted one and that is essentially what you are doing here.

A Major League team charging Major League prices should have Major League players.

I don't think trading one of those guys now and costing fans the stability of seeing players that they know and the enjoyment of 4-5 wins over the next season and a half for the potential of an extra win or two somewhere down the road is worth it. These are the players that they are marketing around. The Orioles are hopefully past the nadir of the rebuild and, in my opinion, they shouldn't be gutting the team and should only trade players that they actually have a plan to replace in the long term.

I'm not saying these guys are off limits in trades, just that they don't necessarily have to be traded as they could potential be contributors to the next competitive Orioles team.

Just now, MurphDogg said:

A Major League team charging Major League prices should have Major League players.

I don't think trading one of those guys now and costing fans the stability of seeing players that they know and the enjoyment of 4-5 wins over the next season and a half for the potential of an extra win or two somewhere down the road is worth it. These are the players that they are marketing around. The Orioles are hopefully past the nadir of the rebuild and, in my opinion, they shouldn't be gutting the team and should only trade players that they actually have a plan to replace in the short term.

Your first line is funny.  This is clearly not something the Os have been or likely are worried about.

They can replace them.  

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Even looking at next year, It doesn’t look like Cowser or Kjerstad will be ready.   That couid change, but that’s how it looks at the moment.  

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Your first line is funny.  This is clearly not something the Os have been or likely are worried about.

They can replace them.  

I think they are worried about it, because they haven't been charging Major League prices for most of this year, they have been charging 1992 prices!

If they expect people to pay 2022 prices, trading decent players with less than 4 years of service time is risky in terms of angering the fans that are still attending the games.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Even looking at next year, It doesn’t look like Cowser or Kjerstad will be ready.   That couid change, but that’s how it looks at the moment.  

So?  If you end the year this year and those guys look mediocre at best and you have traded Mullins for a deal that makes sense of the team, you trade for and/or sign an OFer that better suits your team needs and timetable.