Garceau vs Newman

Sports Guy

13 minutes ago, Etch said:

NY Post long-time sports columnist and resident curmudgeon Phil Mushnick blasted her after watching a game she announced for Apple TV+. Pretty funny actually.

Found it.

"Melanie Newman, who calls Orioles games, to put it indelicately, wouldn’t or couldn’t shut up. She spoke about anything and everything for 3 hours and 43 minutes. She was the sister-in-law you’re stuck seated next to at Thanksgiving dinner. 

When the audio was lost — at least twice from my transmission — it created a palpable sense of relief. The old maxim, “The living will envy the dead.” 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think I like her better than Garceau. That’s a low bar to hurdle but she actually brings a bit of enthusiasm to the table. Garceau sounds like he’s broadcasting at a morgue. 

I’m not saying she’s great, far from it. I just slightly prefer her to Garceau. 

I actually thought she was better ('better' =/= good) paired with Palmer than other iterations of the booth she's been a part of (the Apple TV version of her was by far the worst).

• Upvote 1

They're both so so bad.  I don't mind Garceau on TV.  Newman I've gotten to the point where I think she's actually worse on TV because she says things and you can blatantly see that they're wrong.

The other night there was a line drive that the 2nd basemen came in and made a lunging grab it.  To Newman this was a "leaping grab".  Another time Adley grounded out to 3rd and was out by several steps - or, "inches" to Newman.  My 15-year old watches with me and so many times says what is she talking about?

Scott's fine on TV because you can see what's happening, he's just terrible at play-by-play on the radio.  

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

She’s awful and Palmer sounds annoyed with her.  

Palmer always sounded a lot more annoyed with Jim Hunter. He knows, of course, how unacceptable it would be if he were to be as facetious and cutting in his responses to Melanie's weird descriptions, such as:

"Robinson Chorinos returns to Texas and makes it bigger with a home run!"

Chorinos' later RBI-single was a popped-up Texas Leaguer but was described as "up the middle," as if it were either a well-struck ground ball or low line drive.

Bradish perfectly times his leap and nabs a ground ball that bounced very high in front of the mound: "Back to Bradish... Oh, he gets the air!" No, he got the ball!

Edited by LA2

1 minute ago, Etch said:

Her call on a Blue Jays player's home run to right field in Toronto earlier this year: "There's a fly ball to right and it's...out of the bullpen." Watched the rest of the game with the sound off.

I'm not saying I'm someone who could be considered a great announcer candidate but I really don't get how hard this could be.  Seriously, you just watch the outfielders and how they're reacting to the ball.  If you can't tell when an outfielder has it measured and it's staying in the park compared to an outfielder hustling back and then peeling off because it's way over the fence, you don't deserve to be a broadcaster.  

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm not saying I'm someone who could be considered a great announcer candidate but I really don't get how hard this could be.  Seriously, you just watch the outfielders and how they're reacting to the ball.  If you can't tell when an outfielder has it measured and it's staying in the park compared to an outfielder hustling back and then peeling off because it's way over the fence, you don't deserve to be a broadcaster.  

Yeah, she really struggled with fly balls in Texas.  Palmer even covered for her a few times.  But sometimes she'd make the excited "HIGH FLY BALL TO DEEP LEFT" call and you could clearly see the fielder camped under it 20 feet in front of the wall.

I feel bad for picking on both of them, I think they both are good in certain roles, they just don't have the chops to do PBP.  We need to do better.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

Yeah, she really struggled with fly balls in Texas.  Palmer even covered for her a few times.  But sometimes she'd make the excited "HIGH FLY BALL TO DEEP LEFT" call and you could clearly see the fielder camped under it 20 feet in front of the wall.

I feel bad for picking on both of them, I think they both are good in certain roles, they just don't have the chops to do PBP.  We need to do better.

Palmer and Melanie were both complaining that the booth at Globe Life Field is very high up in the rafters and they both said it's hard to judge fly balls from there.