Garceau vs Newman

Sports Guy

59 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

I listened to Garceau-Newman on the radio in the car this weekend, and both come from the Fred Manfra School of Giving No Context Until Many Moments Have Passed. "And it's popped up." (On the infield for an easy out? Straight back twenty rows into the seats? Wait five seconds to find out!) At least Fred had a nice voice. 

I can't even imagine listening to her on the radio.  You would get way more info looking at gamecast.  She must have been good at some area of broadcasting, but baseball ain't it.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I can't even imagine listening to her on the radio.  You would get way more info looking at gamecast.  She must have been good at some area of broadcasting, but baseball ain't it.

Newman (in my opinion) is really good with the pregame and postgame duties where there's more room for her quips and jokes. Rob Long who is one of the few personalities on 105.7 The Fan that I like doesn't do it for me on MASN. I'd rather have Tom Davis back with Rick Dempsey over Long. 

10 hours ago, Moshagge3 said:

I listened to Garceau-Newman on the radio in the car this weekend, and both come from the Fred Manfra School of Giving No Context Until Many Moments Have Passed. "And it's popped up." (On the infield for an easy out? Straight back twenty rows into the seats? Wait five seconds to find out!) At least Fred had a nice voice. 

Thank you for the Fred Manfra comparison. He had trouble conveying an accurate description as the play was happening and often had to do a post-play summary to clear things up. Man what I wouldn't give to have Jon Miller back. One of the dumbest things the Angelos clan ever did.

It's fun toe  listen to Newman, and take a guess at what happened, and then later find the video highlight and then have that ahhh that's what happened moment. It's a challenge to successfully figure out the play from the Newman call and verify with the video. I think I guess correctly about 40% of the time.

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I think we can ALL agree that Ben McDonald and Geoff Arnold / Kevin Brown are probably the best combo available. 

The best combo has to include Palmer, imo.  His knowledge and insight on pitching is mesmerizing, imo.  I could listen to Palmer talk all day.  Maybe I'm just an Oriole homer.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

The best combo has to include Palmer, imo.  His knowledge and insight on pitching is mesmerizing, imo.  I could listen to Palmer talk all day.  Maybe I'm just an Oriole homer.

Holy crap of course it should, my bad. 

Okay maybe Arnold & Palmer with Ben occasionally stealing Palmer's mic. 

• Upvote 1

Kind of like how the Red Sox had the curse of the Bambino and the Cubs had the curse of the billy goat, I feel like we have the curse of Jon Miller.....or really, the curse of letting him go.  I grew up listening to him call Orioles games and he was as good as there ever was.  Then inexplicably, Angelos decided after the 1996 season that he wasn't enough of a homer and that along with his other responsibilities at ESPN meant he was sent packing.  As his hometown San Francisco Giants won 3 titles sporting mediocre rosters and with him as their announcer, we followed the 1997 ALCS flameout against an inferior opponent with what will be 20 out of 25 losing seasons and with almost no playoff success to show for it.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

Kind of like how the Red Sox had the curse of the Bambino and the Cubs had the curse of the billy goat, I feel like we have the curse of Jon Miller.....or really, the curse of letting him go.  I grew up listening to him call Orioles games and he was as good as there ever was.  Then inexplicably, Angelos decided after the 1996 season that he wasn't enough of a homer and that along with his other responsibilities at ESPN meant he was sent packing.  As his hometown San Francisco Giants won 3 titles sporting mediocre rosters and with him as their announcer, we followed the 1997 ALCS flameout against an inferior opponent with what will be 20 out of 25 losing seasons and with almost no playoff success to show for it.  

Don't forget that's also the same time John Lowenstein got jettisoned from calling games on HTS because Peter Angelos didn't appreciate his sense of humor. Then another year later Mel Proctor left HTS, but I'm not clear if that was on his own accord or another announcer that was pushed out by the warehouse. 

I liked Mel Proctor and thought he did a very good job calling games. I was not impressed with any of his replacements until Gary Thorne became the lead play-by-play announcer on television broadcasts. 

52 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Don't forget that's also the same time John Lowenstein got jettisoned from calling games on HTS because Peter Angelos didn't appreciate his sense of humor. Then another year later Mel Proctor left HTS, but I'm not clear if that was on his own accord or another announcer that was pushed out by the warehouse. 

I liked Mel Proctor and thought he did a very good job calling games. I was not impressed with any of his replacements until Gary Thorne became the lead play-by-play announcer on television broadcasts. 

Looks from this like Proctor left voluntarily:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1996-12-25-1996360003-story.html

However, I heard a radio interview with him sometime in the past couple years and his personal account differs from the above.   In addition to the O's, he called Bullets games which were also on HTS.   And in the interview he implied that he could have stayed but there some management changes at HTS and he was sort of pushed out.

Now I think he was pushing a book at the time of the interview I heard so maybe he wanted to be a little more controversial to get interest, I don't know.   But he implied that he wasn't happy with the way his departure went down.

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

https://www.audacy.com/1057thefan/sports/orioles/mel-proctor-stories-from-his-time-calling-orioles-games

Yep, I loved Proctor and Lowenstein.  They were so much fun to listen to.  We definitely had a great run of announcers.  I recently found the Baltimore broadcasts of the 1983 ALCS on YouTube.  Great listening to Chuck Thompson and Brooks call those games.  Hard to imagine winning 3 ALCS games in a 4-day stretch and then winning 2 ALCS games over the next 38 1/2 years....and counting.  But the past is always a lot of fun to re-live.  

As a general observation, I think it’s much easier to announce games for a winning team than a losing one, and fans are going to fondly remember announcers from the winning years much more than announcers who have to sit through tons of losses, especially noncompetitive losses.   

Jon Miller to me was a guy who could keep you interested no matter how bad the game was.   It’s not easy.  

• Upvote 2