Garceau vs Newman

Sports Guy

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

As a general observation, I think it’s much easier to announce games for a winning team than a losing one, and fans are going to fondly remember announcers from the winning years much more than announcers who have to sit through tons of losses, especially noncompetitive losses.   

Jon Miller to me was a guy who could keep you interested no matter how bad the game was.   It’s not easy.  

Yep. O's losing 16-2 and he was still interesting. One of the all-time greats. Could not believe he left. Almost as bad as the Colts leaving.

9 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Proooooooooooooobably yeah. She sort of reminds me of Thorne in that she seems to be trying to catch up b/c she's busy talking about something other than the game. I think a lot of her deficiencies may well be resolved with experience - I think her voice is fine, her inflection is fine, sometimes she just uses strange words to describe what she is seeing. "Urias DRIVES ONE out to the shortstop and he'll be the first out." Dumb stuff like that. 

Woman, man, parrot, reticulated python... I don't care what you are if you're good at your job. 

Jeff Arnold is great. Identifies pitches well, keeps up with the game well, is very balanced and on top of things. Garceau is usually fine, Melewski is pretty bad. I appreciate Brett Hollander b/c is an overwhelming homer and every team needs one of those. Palmer is my favorite because he just WEARS his arrogance and GTF out if you don't like it. 

I miss Joe Angel. I don't need humanitarian stories about every player's family. Just call the game competently. I appreciate a good 8 seconds of silence between pitches sometimes. Less is more. You don't need to constantly be filling my ears with drivel. 

Kevin Brown is even better than Arnold when it comes to identifying pitches. 

2 hours ago, rm5678 said:

FYI: Garceau and Palmer will be doing the 2 Cubs games. Not sure yet who will be travelling to KC & Toronto.

Brown, I believe, is off doing the Women's College World Series (softball) for ESPN.  I think that will end sometime this week.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

By the way, Garceau had an opportunity for a great call on Hays' upper decker last night and absolutely muffed it. 

https://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=34055136&ex_cid=espnapi_internal

Yep.  I mean, I get that there was a moment where he might have thought it was hooking foul or something but there's no excitement in the call like FAIR OR FOUL!??!?!? 

You know, like this:

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yep.  I mean, I get that there was a moment where he might have thought it was hooking foul or something but there's no excitement in the call like FAIR OR FOUL!??!?!? 

You know, like this:

Dang! This makes me wanna cry. The GOAT Jon Miller! He was ours! He loved Baltimore! Put down roots here! Freakin' Peter Angelos. Miller said no to being a yes man. And we the fans get screwed.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

By the way, Garceau had an opportunity for a great call on Hays' upper decker last night and absolutely muffed it. 

He also called Kyle Bradish, Carl Bradish and on several occasions had the wrong batter at the plate…but let’s debate who is better?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

You know, like this:

I remember Angels manager Doug Rader getting ejected  the next day before the game started arguing with the home plate umpire turning in the lineup card about Devereaux’s home run. One of the best Orioles regular season games ever. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

He took a lot of heat, but both Hyde and Hays said after the game that it initially looked like the ball was going to hook foul, then straightened out.  

8 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

You know, like this:

I miss that type of superb announcing and accurate emotion.