MASN announcer propaganda

Tony-OH

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Sure, Akin, Tate and Lopez have had great turnaround and Bautistia and Perez have been nice additions to the pen. Despite this, we still have a worse winning percentage than 2020. 

All I'm saying here is the propaganda being spread about how exciting this team is and all the great additions have shown to be just that, propaganda. 

Honestly, If the minor leaguers were doing better you could be more excited, but it's really been a disappointing year down there and when you add that to another last place Orioles team, this excitement spun up by a few walk off wins is not backed up by the winning percentage overall.

I get it that fans want to be fired up, hell, I want to be fired up, but I just can't as long as Elias continues to stack his major league roster with AAAA-types.

Sure, and I get that.  But you can't pretend to be surprised that MASN, which is pretty much the propaganda arm of the Orioles is spreading...propaganda.  

But you also can't ignore what Cora said after the Sox series.

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/austin-hays-on-alex-cora-s-comments-and-more

Red Sox manager Alex Cora threw the Orioles some props with reporters after Baltimore hammered his team 10-0 last night to win that series, three victories to two.

“Stuff-wise, they’re (pitching) really good,” Cora told reporters Monday night. “You see it. Everybody sees it. We saw it early in the season. … I'm not surprised, because that's how it started in Houston. It started with pitching.”

This follows a comment not long back from Rays outfielder Kevin Kiermaier that the Orioles are "not that far away."

The Orioles are 5-3 against Cora's team and have won both series versus the Red Sox.

Now I dunno if Cora was just being nice or whatever, but those are comments you didn't hear in 2020 with a similar record.

Sheesh, someone slap me.  I can't believe I'm being the optimist here.

• Haha 1

Some in the media have hyped Adley up so much that people expected him to be Ruth,Ken Griffey Jr and Pujols rolled into one.  Orioles promoting him as come see Adley at the yard  Already a tshirt day for him after 2 weeks on the ML team. I think he will be fine but no guarantee. Also you win by pitching. Angels have Mike Trout and now Ohtani and have six straight below .500 seasons. Not good pitching and you lose. Adley is one guy who won't take the Orioles where the fans want the Orioles to be. Pitching is key for the Orioles if they want the rebuild to work. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Sure, and I get that.  But you can't pretend to be surprised that MASN, which is pretty much the propaganda arm of the Orioles is spreading...propaganda.  

But you also can't ignore what Cora said after the Sox series.

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/austin-hays-on-alex-cora-s-comments-and-more

Now I dunno if Cora was just being nice or whatever, but those are comments you didn't hear in 2020 with a similar record.

Sheesh, someone slap me.  I can't believe I'm being the optimist here.

So who out of the current Orioles starters do you think will be in the rotation when they are hopefully contenders one day? 

Just now, Tony-OH said:

So who out of the current Orioles starters do you think will be in the rotation when they are hopefully contenders one day? 

Maybe Bradish, Wells and Zimmermann.  These guys certainly aren't great but they're better than the David Hess and Tyler Wilson types.  

13 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Some in the media have hyped Adley up so much that people expected him to be Ruth,Ken Griffey Jr and Pujols rolled into one.  Orioles promoting him as come see Adley at the yard  Already a tshirt day for him after 2 weeks on the ML team. I think he will be fine but no guarantee. Also you win by pitching. Angels have Mike Trout and now Ohtani and have six straight below .500 seasons. Not good pitching and you lose. Adley is one guy who won't take the Orioles where the fans want the Orioles to be. Pitching is key for the Orioles if they want the rebuild to work. 

And I'm not sure Elias has drafted or traded for a starter who will be in a contending team rotation one day (Baumler excluded because it's too early). 

When do we conclude that the Elias/Sig system is not very good at identifying and or developing future starters? 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Maybe Bradish, Wells and Zimmermann.  These guys certainly aren't great but they're better than the David Hess and Tyler Wilson types.  

Ok, have you marked down as Bradish, Wells and Zimmermann will be on a contending Orioles team rotation. So in your estimation they only need two starters to be contenders?

Hard to see them competing in 2023.  Bradish and Rutschman (small sample sizes obviously) are continuing the theme of the O's minor leaguers looking rough when they get promoted.  Which isn't necessarily a surprise.  But with significant moving parts still in the minors, without experience in the majors, I think the competitive window is still a big fat TBD.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

When do we conclude that the Elias/Sig system is not very good at identifying and or developing future starters? 

At the same time we take note that starters are going less and less innings and there's an emphasis on bullpens in today's game.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Ok, have you marked down as Bradish, Wells and Zimmermann will be on a contending Orioles team rotation. So in your estimation they only need two starters to be contenders?

Yep, that's exactly what I said.  

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

And I'm not sure Elias has drafted or traded for a starter who will be in a contending team rotation one day (Baumler excluded because it's too early). 

Go back further...how many starters did they identify in Houston?  They certainly did a poor job identifying Appel and Aiken.

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

You can conclude that any time you want, as far as I'm concerned they're guilty until they can prove innocence.  The track record here is bad.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

One thing that would help is if Elias/Sig spent draft capital on pitching talent. Maybe Elias thinks he can develop a surplus of position player talent and use that to acquire established veteran pitchers.       

Will Elias/Sig actually develop that surplus of player talent and will Elias have the budget to add a couple high priced starting pitchers to round out the starting rotation?

It's really important that Grayson Rodriguez and DL Hall become quality MLB starters and even if that happens it's still no guarantee the Orioles become a playoff team. 

Realistically, don’t most team’s announcers try to emphasize the positive?   They aren’t going to say or convey, “this team is not worth watching.”    That is not in the interest of the broadcaster, who wants people to watch the game.   So, part of the job is to find things that will keep the audience interested.   Trashing the team doesn’t accomplish this.  I don’t think the Orioles are dictating this to the broadcast crew; it’s in the nature of being a sports broadcaster.  

Now with that said, it does annoy me when the announcers trot out tired cliches and tropes like the “vibe” of the team, etc.   

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

People are not going, due to the inability of the organization to field a major league ready team.

I know some families are struggling, as their disposable income is reduced by the high cost of gas, and everything else.

And also they sucked last year, so the season ticket base is low this year.   Barring some sort of once in a lifetime 1989ish miracle run, there is always a year lag between performance uptick and attendance uptick.   A good season this year would see a small rise in attendance, but the season ticket base of something in the 7000s is already set.   That is what you will get for a weeknight game against an uninteresting opponent with no reason for significant single game ticket sales, and that will drive the total attendance.   If this team flirts with .500 this year, attendance would go up a little bit, but it would not be a huge bump.   But the .500ish season would lead to more season ticket sales for next year, so maybe the base season ticket total next year is 10000 and then good play would pile the numbers on top of that.