Anybody worth watching in the College World Series?

Feels like there’s not a lot of top players to watch in the CWS this year.   From the top 20 players in MLB.com’s latest mock draft there’s only:

5. Kevin Parada, C, Ga. Tech (Sat. noon)

6. Jacob Berry, 3B/OF, LSU (Sat. 7 pm)

8. Gavin Cross, OF, Va. Tech (Sat. 7 pm)

10.Jace Jung, 2B, Texas Tech (Sat. ?)

18. Zach Neto, SS, Campbell (Sat. 7 pm)

Not in:

4. Brooks Lee, SS, Cal Poly 

14. Daniel Susac, Arizona

16. Chase DeLauter, OF, James Madison

19. Dylan Beavers, OF, California 

And nary a pitcher among them.

• Upvote 1

Parada hasn't been connected with the Orioles.   Lee and Berry have for the 1:1.   Seems to be more chatter involving Berry if they go college.   It's possible one of those other players slide to 33.    De Lauter or Beavers maybe.

I am at the regional tournament at Virginia Tech this weekend.  I have also seen them play several times yhis year .  Gavin Cross is a stud, went 4 for 5 in first game last night with a monster HR.  
Left handed hitter, balanced, power and average, plays CF well

He is going to be an excellent ML player 

A few players I'm interested in how they do:  Ivan Melendez (Texas), Cooper Hjerpe (Oregon State), Jonathan Cannon (Georgia - eliminated already), Jud Fabian (Florida).

Cannon and Hjerpe are both usually mocked in the 1st/early second round.  Both could be there for our comp A and 2nd round picks.

Ivan Melendez leads D1 in HRs and OPS.  Most have him mocked in the 4th-6th range.

Came across this link as well:  Top Draft Prospects in the NCAA Regionals (prospects1500.com)

FYI - Maryland plays UConn tonight at 7 pm in a regional elimination game.  

I follow East Carolina pretty closely.  I have no idea where he gets drafted but Bryson Worrell has been unbelievable the past few weeks.  Earlier in his career he had a lot of prospect hype but some injuries hampered.  He is playing and built like a future stud. 

On 6/4/2022 at 7:37 PM, tntoriole said:

I am at the regional tournament at Virginia Tech this weekend.  I have also seen them play several times yhis year .  Gavin Cross is a stud, went 4 for 5 in first game last night with a monster HR.  
Left handed hitter, balanced, power and average, plays CF well

He is going to be an excellent ML player 

And he's a guy Elias tends to covet, LH hitting CF who has power, speed, average.

But we won't take him with our first pick, and he'll be long gone before our next one.

And I believe he is the only player left on @Frobby 's list that is still playing now that we are down to 16.

What's the deal on Tanner Schoebel, he's only a sophomore so I didn't think he'd be draft eligible but I see he is on MLB's top 300 list for this draft?   

On 6/7/2022 at 2:38 PM, SteveA said:

And he's a guy Elias tends to covet, LH hitting CF who has power, speed, average.

But we won't take him with our first pick, and he'll be long gone before our next one.

And I believe he is the only player left on @Frobby 's list that is still playing now that we are down to 16.

What's the deal on Tanner Schoebel, he's only a sophomore so I didn't think he'd be draft eligible but I see he is on MLB's top 300 list for this draft?   

He has exploded this year and was very good in Cape Cod league 

I don’t think he stays at short, he is 5”10, 175.. i see him as second base guy but his bat would probably play well 

Good read about him … although he was getting batting tips from his neighbor … Chris Owings … yikes!! 

https://roanoke.com/sports/college/va_tech/virginia-tech-shortstop-tanner-schobel-develops-into-likely-draft-pick/article_d24d1040-dbde-11ec-b3c9-8b4974809dd4.html

On 6/7/2022 at 9:24 AM, RVAOsFan said:

I follow East Carolina pretty closely.  I have no idea where he gets drafted but Bryson Worrell has been unbelievable the past few weeks.  Earlier in his career he had a lot of prospect hype but some injuries hampered.  He is playing and built like a future stud. 

Speaking of Bryson Worrell...

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Any pitchers in CWS who could be good picks for the O's in the comp round or 2nd round?

Mayo has a few guys who could be there:

Hjerpe at #32 (Oregon State)

Campbell #34 (Ok State)

Whisenhunt #36 (ECU) - still in it

Then you have to go to Cannon at #52 (Georgia) for the next guy.

Top Baseball Draft Prospects | MLB.com

Callis' most recent mock has Hjerpe going #20 and Campbell #21.  Whisenhunt was suspended this year for testing positive for a performance-enhancing drug (so Callis didn't mock him). 

MLB Mock Draft: Orioles go for Jackson Holliday

Blade Tidwell is ranked as the #23 prospect.  Started for Tennessee yesterday and got lit up.  Watching Tenn/Notre Dame game today and they mentioned a couple of times that he would be going in first round.  They also mentioned that today's starter, Dollander would probably go in the first.  I didn't see him on the mlb prospect list.  Maybe he one of these guys that's a riser in draft lists.  Dollander throws his fastball 96-98.