O's should be re-evaluating their training methods

wildcard

In the last year three of the O's most valuable prospects have had significant injuries. DL Hall was shut down June 12th 2021 for the rest of the season with an arm injury. Adley had a arm injury in the 2022 spring training.  And now Grayson with a lat injury. 

It would be bad for one of these to occur but all three has to call into question why these high profile prospects are coming up with injuries.   What are the O's doing and what do they have to change to correct the problem?

2 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

They all break.  That wasn't just a silly thread. At some point most players get hurt, especially pitchers.

That said, I do think the Orioles have shown a very cautious approach with pitchers, and so far I see no evidence that this prevents injuries. 

Right.  I don’t think there is one perfect way to do it but at the end of the day, these guys only have so many pitches in their arms and slow playing them isn’t the best way to take full advantage of that.

But this is a very cheap organization that is focused on  saving the money long term and I feel that holds a lot more value to them than fans want to believe.

Pitchers get hurt, it's what they do.  Throwing a baseball 95-100+ mph repeatedly is unnatural for the human body and inevitably leads to injuries.  I remember when Bedard was a prospect, 6 of the O's top 7 pitching prospects were hurt at one time.  It's better than it was back then.

The only thing I know about the Orioles "training" methods is that they certainly haven't found some holy grail for keeping players on the field. The minor league system has seen many, many players on the IL and so many pitchers on the IL that it's hard for them to piece together decent level appropriate staffs at times.

Sure, players get hurt and the Orioles organization is no different, but this organization has certainly had their share and then some. 

It does seem to take years to ramp up pitchers to full work loads.  When a pitcher has a serious injury, it sets him back years.  1st he'll miss a year or more with the injury.  Then he'll have a couple months of rehabbing.  After rehab, he'll spend the rest of the year ramping up.  Maybe get to 4 innings/start at the end of the year.  The next year is a continuing ramp up and maybe near their pre injury workload.

Where is the research this actually works?

I don't see anything out of ordinary with Orioles players getting hurt more compared to other teams.  We just notice them more but you just have to look around the league and see prospects get hurt all the time and it doesnt matter what team it is.  If you look at the Rays and they are everyone's know all franchise in term of prospects.  In the last 2 years they have had significant arm injuries to the following pitchers, Brandon MCkay, Shane Baz, Luis Patino,  Brett Honeywell, Tyler Gleason.  That is 5 of their top 10 guys in there 2020 prospect rankings.   The only pitcher not on that list is Shane Mclanahan and he had Tommy John in college before being drafted.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

In the last year three of the O's most valuable prospects have had significant injuries. DL Hall was shut down June 12th 2021 for the rest of the season with an arm injury. Adley had a arm injury in the 2022 spring training.  And now Grayson with a lat injury. 

It would be bad for one of these to occur but all three has to call into question why these high profile prospects are coming up with injuries.   What are the O's doing and what do they have to change to correct the problem?

Step one would be to compile a comprehensive database of injuries across the league for multiple years and determine if the Orioles' injury rates and types are significantly unusual.

My baseline assumption should be that they don't deviate from the norm in any statistically meaningful way.  Whenever a team sees a cluster of injuries a few fans call for the heads of the training staff and processes. But I don't know that I've ever seen any analysis of the situation beyond "some guys got hurt so something must be terribly wrong."

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

By far the most likely answer is coincidence.  It’s not like they had the same injury, or the injuries happened at about the same time.   

Yes, let's please use some common sense. The OP is riddled with fallacies.