O's should be re-evaluating their training methods

wildcard

35 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Of course you constantly look for process improvements, keep abreast of the latest information, and always be willing to be introspective.

But do we have any reason to think the Orioles don't do this?  Besides the general "haven't won anything in a long time so they must be doing it wrong" stuff?

Not me.  A step further, as analytically driven the FO is, I bet they have a lot more research and data on that than the vast majority (likely all) of us.  I said not to change just to change, so the likely answer is that they don't either. 

57 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I was about to have a heart attack.  How long was Hall out for then?

His injury took place in late July and the season ended in early September so they made the decision not to even try to get him back before the season ended.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

His injury took place in late July and the season ended in early September so they made the decision not to even try to get him back before the season ended.   

With that timeline, it looks like GrayRod will still be ramping up when the season ends.  Best case: he is healthy at the end of the year and ready for spring training where he gets a real chance to break camp with the team. 

4 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

With that timeline, it looks like GrayRod will still be ramping up when the season ends.  Best case: he is healthy at the end of the year and ready for spring training where he gets a real chance to break camp with the team. 

I don’t see that conclusion.  Hall had a milder strain but it happened much later in the season, so they’re not really comparable on either front.   Based on Roch’s article, the “bullseye” for a return  is early September.   Could be a little earlier if things go really well, could be later (or not at all) if Rodriguez heals slowly.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t see that conclusion.  Hall had a milder strain but it happened much later in the season, so they’re not really comparable on either front.   Based on Roch’s article, the “bullseye” for a return  is early September.   Could be a little earlier if things go really well, could be later (or not at all) if Rodriguez heals slowly.   

By ramping up, I mean they will be increasing his # pitches/start.  Probably from a very low level of say 40 pitches or so.  Since it took months to ramp him up to 80+ pitches, I doubt it happens fully before the end of the season.

12 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

If by breaking camp with the team, you mean playing in Norfolk until mid-late May so they can manipulate the service clock, sure.

Training has certainly changed, especially weight training, and PROBABLY for the better. The most training players did in the way past, was lifting a case of beer or a pint mug. You think Berra, Williams, B Robinson, Powell, etc did heavy lifting? When did clubhouses first include weights?? Athletes being athletes push themselves and challenge each other. IMO for every minute lifting, there should be the same amount of time stretching the opposing muscles. Does any team practice yoga as part of their fitness program?  Pitching is a whole different ballgame. I think kids are encouraged to throw breaking pitches way too early by coaches not necessarily qualified. Kids also don't necessarily follow a program. The day after throwing 70 pitches they may be out with dad or grandpa throwing again. The wear and tear on the arm can be extensive.

18 minutes ago, AlbNYfan said:

IMO for every minute lifting, there should be the same amount of time stretching the opposing muscles. Does any team practice yoga as part of their fitness program? 

Jake Arrieta credited Pilates as a difference maker.  He discovered Pilates between his last season with the Os and his first with the Cubs.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Frobby said:

In 2021 Hall last pitched on June 12th.

46 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

If by breaking camp with the team, you mean playing in Norfolk until mid-late May so they can manipulate the service clock, sure.

Remember when Elias at least made a suggestion that Grayson could break camp with the team in 2022? 

He pitched two innings before getting sent down.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Remember when Elias at least made a suggestion that Grayson could break camp with the team in 2022? 

He pitched two innings before getting sent down.

Elias probably panicked when he saw GrayRod was ready.  He didn't want him to get any more exposure in major league camp in case he dominated and there was an outcry from the public/media to not manipulate his service time.  I understand the desire to get the extra year of service time for prospects, but GrayRod could have pitched all year in the majors and likely been the O's best starter. 

49 minutes ago, wildcard said:

In 2021 Hall last pitched on June 12th.

39 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

The lat strain Frobby is referring to took place in 2019.

Right.  I was wrong to say he got injured in late July.  It actually was August 8.