O's should be re-evaluating their training methods

wildcard

23 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Cordova was one of the poster children of the era where the O’s acquired higher priced veteran players because the farm system was failing to develop talent. 

David Segui was one of the moves that ticked me off because surprise, surprise a mid 30’s Segui spent more  time on the disabled list than he did playing. 

Segui was someone I'd put in the same category as Nelson Cruz, as kind of a litmus test for a GM.  When the Orioles acquired him in 2001 he was 33 and coming off a year where he hit .334/.388/.510.  All three of those were career highs. 

If I were interviewing a GM one of my canned questions would be how they'd deal with a situation like that.  How would they value a soon-to-be 34-year-old coming off a career year, or nearly a career year.  My hope would be they'd say something like "well, while I accept that there are occasional players with late career surges, a typical player rapidly declines in their mid-30s and I'd expect this guy to lose 50-75% or even all of their value over the next few years.  I would only sign him to a short or team-friendly deal."

Syd Thrift looked at Segui and said, "young man, how'd you like a 4-year contract at $7M a year?"  Remember, in 2001 73-homer Barry Bonds was making $10M a year.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Syd Thrift looked at Segui and said, "young man, how'd you like a 4-year contract at $7M a year?"  Remember, in 2001 73-homer Barry Bonds was making $10M a year.

Brady was making $7.2 mm, Cal $6.3 mm for the O’s in Segui’s first year.   Ugh.

The Yankees and Rays are two of the best run franchises in sports and have had a pretty remarkable amount of injuries over the past few seasons.  The Mets sign one of the most durable pitchers of our time in Scherzer and he almost immediately gets injured. Are the Mets' training methods that different than Washington's and is that a reason he sustained this injury? How would you then explain Strasburg? To me, it just seems like playing baseball is unnatural and avoiding injuries is mostly about luck. 

26 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Type 2 cartilage supplement's should be what every baseball player takes to help improve their ligaments and tendons. Eating deboned chicken means you dont really get cartilage in your diet anymore.

What? Did I miss something? Do you think if you eat chicken cartilage, then the cartilage is somehow not going to be digested until it is not cartilage or is excreted? The ingested chicken cartilage is somehow going to be directly turned into or incorporated into human cartilage? Does that mean we need to eat chicken or similar bone to make human bone? Eat cow brains to make human brain cells? That's not how digestion works. 

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Segui was someone I'd put in the same category as Nelson Cruz, as kind of a litmus test for a GM.  When the Orioles acquired him in 2001 he was 33 and coming off a year where he hit .334/.388/.510.  All three of those were career highs. 

If I were interviewing a GM one of my canned questions would be how they'd deal with a situation like that.  How would they value a soon-to-be 34-year-old coming off a career year, or nearly a career year.  My hope would be they'd say something like "well, while I accept that there are occasional players with late career surges, a typical player rapidly declines in their mid-30s and I'd expect this guy to lose 50-75% or even all of their value over the next few years.  I would only sign him to a short or team-friendly deal."

Also, 3 years before that Belle signed his 5 year/$65 million deal.  So if you said Segui was making 50-60% of the absolute top players at the time, that would be $15-20 mill/yr today.  The O's need to develop guys like Segui (obviously that deal turned out horribly) rather than pay them free agent rates.  Signings like Segui are what happens when you don't have a good farm system.  The O's were also in the let's just be competitive and give people a team to cheer for instead of going all out to win.