The FCL thread 2022

Frobby

31 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

I haven’t followed either the DSL or FCL, are there any prospects from any team worth following? 

Basallo and Delosantos on FCL. Hopefully Maikol Hernandez too. Tavarez, Amparo, Arias on DSL.  Raylin Ramos and Aron Estrada and Thomas Sosa all look interesting. 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Basallo and Delosantos on FCL. Hopefully Maikol Hernandez too. Tavarez, Amparo, Arias on DSL.  Raylin Ramos and Aron Estrada and Thomas Sosa all look interesting. 

Just looked at the numbers, I can see why the disappointment. We spent the money, but only Tavarez looking good. Basallo decent average, no power, catching skills are raw. However, everyone is still young and have time.

2 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Just looked at the numbers, I can see why the disappointment. We spent the money, but only Tavarez looking good. Basallo decent average, no power, catching skills are raw. However, everyone is still young and have time.

Sure but odds are very good that anyone that is going to end up special is going to look special at this level.

Still encouraging that they are fully engaged in this avenue of talent acquisition.

• Upvote 1

Basallo currently 3 for 3 on the day with a home run.  He is still 17.  Doesn't turn 18 until August.   Average is .349.  OPS is .838.

I'm not saying Basallo is going to be special.    When Ronald Acuna was 17 he looked very good.   He was playing FCL and then the Appy League and putting up .800+ OPS.    I'm sure he was considered a special talent but I'm not sure anyone could predict exactly what he would become.

Considering what Basallo did last year and what he's doing to this point, I'd say he looks very good offensively.

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Absolutely. Holding your own in the complex league in your age 17 season is quite an accomplishment in and of itself.

In 2015, when Soto was 17 in the GCL there were only 4 17-year-olds with 50+ at-bats. Soto was the only one with an .800+ OPS.

The previous season, there were 8 17-year-olds and the only ones with .800+ OPS were Ronald Acuna and Juan Yepez (who has put up 0.8 rWAR in 47 games this season as a 24-year-old rookie).

The year before that there were 4 17-year-olds, and the only ones with .800+ OPS were Rafael Devers and Ozzie Albies.

I had to go all the way back to 2008 to find the last time that a 17-year-old put up an .800 OPS and didn't make the Majors, Michael Almanzar a $1.5M bonus Red Sox signee who had an OPS over .800 in only 89 at-bats. He was promoted to the Sally League midway through the GCL season and didn't hit at all again until 2012.

You do remember that Almanzar was a former Rule 5 pick by the Orioles from the Red Sox under Duquette?   

Nice research.  Thanks.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Basallo currently 3 for 3 on the day with a home run.  He is still 17.  Doesn't turn 18 until August.   Average is .349.  OPS is .838.

I'm not saying Basallo is going to be special.    When Ronald Acuna was 17 he looked very good.   He was playing FCL and then the Appy League and putting up .800+ OPS.    I'm sure he was considered a special talent but I'm not sure anyone could predict exactly what he would become.

Considering what Basallo did last year and what he's doing to this point, I'd say he looks very good offensively.

Funny how small sample sizes can fluctuate so wildly.   Three games ago Basallo was hitting .265/.316/.294.  Now he’s gone 6 for 10 with a homer and boom he’s up to .341/.388/.432.   Totally different take on how he’s doing.   Hopefully he’ll start having some sustained success.   I’m hoping to see more power on a consistent basis.  

Basallo had some very good AB's vs Ayala Jr, who from what I've seen is one of the top pitchers in this league, on Monday. He went 2 for 2 with 2 singles after getting behind 0-2 on both occasions. I bring this up because Ayala Jr. is a very tough lefty for this league and I was impressed with how he stayed in against him. It was nice to see his 3 hit game the next day with some power.

• Upvote 1

I think the next milestone in regards to developing the system with the addition of the international talent pipeline, is to have a few signed and developed prospects at each level.

Once we get to that level, we should start to see major league contributions and ideally, some above average players. Stars and superstars are harder to project but hopefully we would luck upon one here and there. When we have Stowers, Vavra, Rom, Bradish etc types at the upper levels that have come through the international pipeline, it will truly keep the system loaded even though we hopefully will be drafting between the middle to end of draft rounds. Ideally, we continue to have 4-6 top 100 prospects year in and year out and 1 or 2 come from the international ranks.  Plus the numerous players that end up contributing that hover outside the top 100. 

We should expect this stage to truy hit within 3 years.

Now, don’t take the names too literally, they are more of an example and not meant to be a specific forecast but let’s say we have these types of players at each level, progressing as hoped. 

Again, don’t take the names to seriously as some will not develop as hoped, but others will develop more that may not be as anticipated

Summer 2025 

Norfolk

SS Bencosme

OF Luis Valdez

OF Prado

P De Los Santos

Bowie

C Basallo

OF Acevedo

P Padilla

Aberdeen

OF Tavera

SS Arias

P Brayner Sanchez

P Eris Rodriguez

P Jose Ramirez

Delmarva

Cream of crop from this January’s incoming class

If we can add 2 position players and 2 pitchers at each level that are legit prospects, that is true progress. At that point we look at progress as..are we adding the occasional star/superstar.

• Upvote 1

I don’t know anything about Carlos Rodriguez, but he hit a home run today. His OPS is at .985. He only has 27 at bats, so it doesn’t mean much yet. He’s 18. 

De Los Santos hasn’t really gotten hot yet, but he’s showing good plate discipline with more walks than strikeouts (11 BB, 9 K in 49 at bats). That’s certainly a good sign.

On 6/27/2022 at 11:32 PM, RZNJ said:

Basallo heated up last week and Delosantos heated up since July 1.  In his last 4 games he has 2 homers. Some great signs here.  He now has 11 walks and 9 strikeouts on the year.  Also half of his hits are for extra bases.  This is a great combination.  This is Gunnar Henderson production at the rookie level in a very SSS.  However, the 18 year old is worth getting a little happy about.

Carlos Rodriguez is an 18 year old catcher also with 2 Homer's and overall good numbers. Someone mentioned him the other day and he really hasn't been talked about before.

Maikol Hernandez continues to scuffle but he has been doing better in July with 6 walks to 5 K's and 5 for 5 in stolen bases on the season.  I hold out hope that he'll hit but it's going to take some patience.