Angelos Family Fued

Going Underground

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Cal has done nothing as an owner that makes me desire his involvement with the Orioles.

Show up on anniversaries, wave, go home.

I have heard things about him that have not been as positive as he and his family is portrayed in the media. Don't want him or Brady Anderson near the management group 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Cal has done nothing as an owner that makes me desire his involvement with the Orioles.

Show up on anniversaries, wave, go home.

11 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

I have heard things about him that have not been as positive as he and his family is portrayed in the media. Don't want him or Brady Anderson near the management group 

Ah, right.  Fans of the team owned by Angelos all of a sudden are picky on who the next owner should be.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

1.  There is a trust in place.

2. Lou is upset enough to bring a lawsuit.

3.  Lou is not using the Angelos law firm in spite of leading it.  He got outside counsel.

4. The lawsuit is Lou's perspective.

5. Peter has a heart condition.  No word on his mental state.

6. No word from Georgia.  What is said about Georgia is from Lou's perspective and  since the lawsuit is against Georgia and John, Georgia probably does not agree with Lou.

7. No word from John.

8.  Anyone can sue for any reason.  Merit is yet to be established.  We need to know more.

Very good points, WC.   This is one side of the story.  

As to the Law Offices of Peter Angelos not being involved, that is not surprising.   There are a number of ethical issues that pop up when a lawyer or law firm represents a client in a matter where the lawyer or law firm has his/her/its own personal interests.  

However, the lawyer they've chosen, Paul Raschke, is an Angelos firm alum.   From his web bio:

"Paul D. Raschke joined the partnership in 2014, after having practiced for more than 30 years both in private practice and in government and corporate settings. Presently, he concentrates his practice in the areas of complex estate, trust and charitable foundation litigation, commercial litigation and appellate litigation.

"In 2011, while working for the Law Offices of Peter G. Angelos, P.C., Paul D. Raschke served as a senior member of a team of lawyers who obtained a $1.5 billion verdict against Exxon Corporation for contamination in Jacksonville, Maryland, one of the largest verdicts in Maryland history."

Also, the law firm he is with, Nusinov Smith, represents Tom Clancy's widow in her various estate dispute matters.   They apparently are a well know firm in litigation regarding trusts and estates.    Ms. Clancy, of course, is a minority shareholder in the Orioles.   I wonder if she sides with Lou in this dispute.

Unfortunately, it looks like the Baltimore County Circuit Court does not make copies of court papers available online.   Hopefully one of the news outlets that is reporting on the story will put the complaint out there.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Perhaps you should move with the team? I had already planned on retiring to Nashville so perhaps  things are going to work out well and I can continue to be a fan of my childhood team, in a much much much nicer city.

Nashville isnt what it used to be, like most cities, crime is up, as well as the way people treat each other, digressing.

Pretty wild that Lou would use John ditching Brady Anderson/trying to replace DD as examples of his brother being an out of control tyrant. I read basically a hit piece against the man and still came away thinking the club is in better hands with John than Lou even though I think the team being sold in 2020 may have been best.  

6 hours ago, rudyrooster said:

What's sad is that what we're reading in this initial story is most likely just the "tip of the iceberg".  This could get really nasty very quickly.   

As a 60 year old lifetime Orioles fanatic it hurts to see this once proud franchise being dragged thru the gutter by this greedy ownership family.

Yeah, I think it's going to get Dodgers before MLB forced their sale ugly.  I need to read up on what happened to the Dodgers/McCourt before the sh!t hits the fan.  I'm pretty sure what will not happen is John Angelos selling the O's and just moving to Nashville whenever he feels like it. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

John Angelos cares about the show.  It’s why the concerts are occurring.  It’s why he’s trying to help his wife.  The stadium improvements being discussed, etc..it’s all to make the experience better for the fans and he doesn’t have to pay for it. He wants that atmosphere. That’s his focus.  

His focus isn’t the ML product on the field.  If the Os fall into contending because the young guys performed, great.  Otherwise, it’s just not a priority.  

Funny.  If John cares about the show, he should understand that winning is a good show and a good atmosphere.

22 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Major League Baseball hates the Angelos family.  There is no way the owners will ever let Angelos owned Baltimore leave.  Can't wait to see the trust documents.  

I hate the Angelos family.  You hate the Angelos family.  Everyone on this board hates the Angelos family.

Does that mean that MLB hates the Angelos family, too?  I'd like to believe that to be true but I don't know where that evidence is.

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Ah, right.  Fans of the team owned by Angelos all of a sudden are picky on who the next owner should be.

The only thing I desire from a new owner is that they want to keep the team in Baltimore and are a billionaire.  The second one sounds like a stringent requirement, but I read there are over 2,000 billionaires in the world. 

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Very good points, WC.   This is one side of the story.  

As to the Law Offices of Peter Angelos not being involved, that is not surprising.   There are a number of ethical issues that pop up when a lawyer or law firm represents a client in a matter where the lawyer or law firm has his/her/its own personal interests.  

However, the lawyer they've chosen, Paul Raschke, is an Angelos firm alum.   From his web bio:

"Paul D. Raschke joined the partnership in 2014, after having practiced for more than 30 years both in private practice and in government and corporate settings. Presently, he concentrates his practice in the areas of complex estate, trust and charitable foundation litigation, commercial litigation and appellate litigation.

"In 2011, while working for the Law Offices of Peter G. Angelos, P.C., Paul D. Raschke served as a senior member of a team of lawyers who obtained a $1.5 billion verdict against Exxon Corporation for contamination in Jacksonville, Maryland, one of the largest verdicts in Maryland history."

Also, the law firm he is with, Nusinov Smith, represents Tom Clancy's widow in her various estate dispute matters.   They apparently are a well know firm in litigation regarding trusts and estates.    Ms. Clancy, of course, is a minority shareholder in the Orioles.   I wonder if she sides with Lou in this dispute.

Unfortunately, it looks like the Baltimore County Circuit Court does not make copies of court papers available online.   Hopefully one of the news outlets that is reporting on the story will put the complaint out there.

Some old time Angelos friends are trying to get the brothers together to come to some type of arrangement before it gets ugly. They want Lou to withdraw the  lawsuit.

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

The only thing I desire from a new owner is that they want to keep the team in Baltimore and are a billionaire.  The second one sounds like a stringent requirement, but I read there are over 2,000 billionaires in the world. 

Team values are in the billion range so yea, if the primary owner isn't worth at least a billion that isn't a good sign.