Angelos Family Fued

Going Underground

37 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Let me know when you are moving and retiring. I will get you a cake from Baked on 8th.Maybe Carter Faith can sing at your retirement party. Maybe you can throw out the first pitch at the new Nashville stadium. Maybe for side income ,you can dress up as the mascot. I love when a plan comes together 

Some of us will stick with the team and be posting on Banjos Hangout.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

There is pretty close to zero chance for MLB to move out of Baltimore with OPACY sitting there and a 600M bribe in hand. 

It's just not on the table.

Might the team be sold?  Sure.

Might payroll stay rock bottom?  Sure.

But a fair number of us expected that anyway, the signs were there.

The only folks that should be surprised are the ones that bought the lines Elias was spouting.

And of course the cash cow that is MASN.  Which the O's would have to demolish or sell to the Nats for very cheap.   Remember how MLB always sides with the Nats on MASN issues.  I wonder what MLB would value MASN if the O's moved to Nashville.  I'm not a legal expert, but who would a judge side with when setting a value on MASN?  MLB, the Washington Nationals, or the Orioles who just left town?

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

And of course the cash cow that is MASN.  Which the O's would have to demolish or sell to the Nats for very cheap.   Remember how MLB always sides with the Nats on MASN issues.  I wonder what MLB would value MASN if the O's moved to Nashville.  I'm not a legal expert, but who would a judge side with when setting a value on MASN?  MLB, the Washington Nationals, or the Orioles who just left town?

I'm not sure what would become of MASN.

I'm picturing a scenario in which it still shows games from both teams but over a much larger area.

16 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Some old time Angelos friends are trying to get the brothers together to come to some type of arrangement before it gets ugly. They want Lou to withdraw the  lawsuit.

I think its already got ugly.  All we can hope for is that the mom Georgia wins the suit (meanwhile the FO will be in limbo on spending) and they sell. 

25 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Funny.  If John cares about the show, he should understand that winning is a good show and a good atmosphere.

Yes but he knows that going to games is more than just seeing a good team.  Its entertainment for the kids, its socializing with friends and clients, etc...and if he can provide that and sell concert tickets and collect revenue sharing money, he can make money and not spend much. 

Been telling you guys for a while.  This ownership group is a cancer.  Everyone keeps jumping on me for saying this rebuild stuff is bs, that it doesn't need to take 4+ years.  Well guess what, this is what I am talking about.  Its all a cover because John doesn't want to spend.  He can hide behind this.  He brought in a GM that can say, it takes time, like we did in Houston.  Be patient, etc...Is all a lie.  Its a Fugazi (cue McConnaghey in Wolf of Wall Street).

It doesn't cost anything to do the things Elias is doing.  People on here have argued that its expensive to build a DR facility.  No its not, not in the grand scheme of things.  The Orioles are going to pay Jordan Lyles the same amount of money (or close to it) that it cost to build that facility.  Its a drop in the bucket.  It is needed and its great they are doing it but its all a part of the cover of showing people that you are trying while you collect money and ignore the ML team.

30 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I hate the Angelos family.  You hate the Angelos family.  Everyone on this board hates the Angelos family.

Does that mean that MLB hates the Angelos family, too?  I'd like to believe that to be true but I don't know where that evidence is.

Other than the obvious, that every writer seems to hate everything the Orioles do, I will start by reminding you of the fact that Peter Angelos' Orioles have not ever hosted an All-Star game.  Not one.  Yes the Orioles hosted in '93 which was in fact the year the team was purchased.  And Tampa Bay, A's, Dodger's, Blue Jay's and Cubs have waited longer to host.  A's and Rays obviously do not have the venue.  Dodgers get it in '22.  But since 93 Pittsburg, Denver and Cleveland have all gone twice.  And Philly goes again in '26.

But yeah...evidence?  IDK.  Any good baseball person should hate what Angelos has done in Baltimore.

8 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm looking less crazy today than I was yesterday.

It is very concerning when we see lawsuits and infighting amongst ownership. While they have put money into the Dominican complex and Elias has used all of his allotted funds for his drafts, it's pretty clear that cutting salaries at almost all costs has been implemented up until this year when they signed Jordan Lyles.

It becomes very concerning this offseason unless this gets solved. The Orioles must, and me must be in the major free agency and trade arena this offseason. If they are not, it will speak volumes.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes but he knows that going to games is more than just seeing a good team.  Its entertainment for the kids, its socializing with friends and clients, etc...and if he can provide that and sell concert tickets and collect revenue sharing money, he can make money and not spend much. 

Been telling you guys for a while.  This ownership group is a cancer.  Everyone keeps jumping on me for saying this rebuild stuff is bs, that it doesn't need to take 4+ years.  Well guess what, this is what I am talking about.  Its all a cover because John doesn't want to spend.  He can hide behind this.  He brought in a GM that can say, it takes time, like we did in Houston.  Be patient, etc...Is all a lie.  Its a Fugazi (cue McConnaghey in Wolf of Wall Street).

It doesn't cost anything to do the things Elias is doing.  People on here have argued that its expensive to build a DR facility.  No its not, not in the grand scheme of things.  The Orioles are going to pay Jordan Lyles the same amount of money (or close to it) that it cost to build that facility.  Its a drop in the bucket.  It is needed and its great they are doing it but its all a part of the cover of showing people that you are trying while you collect money and ignore the ML team.

Looks like John has been giving lip service to building a winner while planning on taking the team out of town or selling it.  I don't see any evidence that John/Angelos family wants to invest any money in the O's.  In his/their opinion, it's something to take a large chunk of cash out of every year.  Notice how it's the state of Maryland paying for stadium upgrades and the Orioles getting all the cash for hosting entertainment events.  Investing in the team was something Peter did it.  He made a ton of money on appreciation of the O's too.  John and the rest are all about cashing in on the O's.  The sale, forced or otherwise can't happen soon enough.

Prove me wrong.  Show where someone in the Angelos family invested major money in the O's other than Peter.

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It's gambling.

That's the real money maker, not Smash Mouth concerts.