Angelos Family Fued

Going Underground

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It is very concerning when we see lawsuits and infighting amongst ownership. While they have put money into the Dominican complex and Elias has used all of his allotted funds for his drafts, it's pretty clear that cutting salaries at almost all costs has been implemented up until this year when they signed Jordan Lyles.

It becomes very concerning this offseason unless this gets solved. The Orioles must, and me must be in the major free agency and trade arena this offseason. If they are not, it will speak volumes.

While the Dominican complex is a great step that wasn't a lot of money and was more a matter of catching up to everyone else more than leading.  I've said before that is the type of thing you have to have as a seller for your product to be competitive.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Going Underground said:

WBAL TV had nothing about the fued this morning. WBAL radio has nothing about this and nothing on their website Heard three Oriole commercials I guess since they are the radio flagship they are quiet for now All the other three TV stations that have local news have it on their website.

I think moving to Nashville is definitely in play  A growing city and John Angelos lives there.We shall see,plus the lease expires next year.

The key thing here is just because John Angelos may want to move the team, he needs MLB approval. I doubt MLB is going to take a team with a stadium like Camden Yards and let it move. 

Now saying that, Nashville is an up and coming city while Baltimore is currently a crime infested violent city with no clear light at the end of it's tunnel of mismanagement and corruption. 

If I took my fandom out of it, the God's honest truth is Nashville is probably a better location for the team. They would certainly build a state of the art new stadium probably somewhere close the football stadium just across from the amazing Nashville strip. 

While it stinks to think of the Orioles in any other city, if it happened, it would kind of be understandable considering the lack of attendance and state of the city (which along with the poor records by the team is a major part of the attendance issues).

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

SG, I think it's hilarious that you think you're bringing something to light that we already know. :) 

I don't think that.  What I do think is that there are plenty of people on here who have their heads buried in the sand that the team needs to rebuild and suck for 4-6 to ever be good and that this is all part of some plan to make us great for the long term.  The idea that people actually believe that is hysterical.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Other than the obvious, that every writer seems to hate everything the Orioles do, I will start by reminding you of the fact that Peter Angelos' Orioles have not ever hosted an All-Star game.  Not one.  Yes the Orioles hosted in '93 which was in fact the year the team was purchased.  And Tampa Bay, A's, Dodger's, Blue Jay's and Cubs have waited longer to host.  A's and Rays obviously do not have the venue.  Dodgers get it in '22.  But since 93 Pittsburg, Denver and Cleveland have all gone twice.  And Philly goes again in '26.

But yeah...evidence?  IDK.  Any good baseball person should hate what Angelos has done in Baltimore.

Sure, anyone should hate Angelos.  I suppose the ASG thing is a sign of it.

But we don't know how the other MLB owners feel about Angelos.  We don't know how Selig felt and how that dunce Manfred feels about him.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Not that we need to repeat this over a silly rumor concocted from a lawsuit but:

Baltimore and Nashville are basically the same size media market (#s 28 and 29 by Nielsen)

Baltimore metro area (not to include DC) has 800k more people than Nashville's (see wiki and other sources)

Baltimore has Camden Yards, Nashville has a 10,000 seat AAA stadium.

Baltimore has a long history of major league teams going back to the 1870s, with multiple championships, to go along with a dynastic minor league team in the first half of the 1900s.  Nashville has a history of AA and AAA teams, subservient to some MLB team since at least 1934.

At first glance the only positive I can see from doing this would be the few seasons of sugar high ticket sales the team would get from being the new thing.

You clearly have to been to Nashville or spent much time in Baltimore of late. Two totally different cities going in opposite directions. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The key thing here is just because John Angelos may want to move the team, he needs MLB approval. I doubt MLB is going to take a team with a stadium like Camden Yards and let it move. 

Now saying that, Nashville is an up and coming city while Baltimore is currently a crime infested violent city with no clear light at the end of it's tunnel of mismanagement and corruption. 

If I took my fandom out of it, the God's honest truth is Nashville is probably a better location for the team. They would certainly build a state of the art new stadium probably somewhere close the football stadium just across from the amazing Nashville strip. 

While it stinks to think of the Orioles in any other city, if it happened, it would kind of be understandable considering the lack of attendance and state of the city (which along with the poor records by the team is a major part of the attendance issues).

Tony - you know full well that MLB would also never approve the Orioles leaving the city using crime/corruption as a reason because of politics. 

Nashville will either get an expansion team or the Rays (with A's going to Vegas if they move). MLB has no baseball-related justification to move the team given the team's history and stadium, and politics/optics will be another reason the team stays.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

I don't think that.  What I do think is that there are plenty of people on here who have their heads buried in the sand that the team needs to rebuild and suck for 4-6 to ever be good and that this is all part of some plan to make us great for the long term.  The idea that people actually believe that is hysterical.

Just like when folks were all in on the idea that Elias had enough leverage to be able to dictate terms to the Angelos Brothers when he was hired.

Being the flavor of the month hotshot assistant GM does not give you that power.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Cal has done nothing as an owner that makes me desire his involvement with the Orioles.

Show up on anniversaries, wave, go home.

Agreed. The Aberdeen Ironbirds are run on a shoestring budget and their MiLB TV broadcast doesn't even include an announcer. I don't want Cal "Sorry Brooksie" Ripken anywhere involved with the Orioles.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Agreed. The Aberdeen Ironbirds are run on a shoestring budget and their MiLB TV broadcast doesn't even include an announcer. I don't want Cal "Sorry Brooksie" Ripken anywhere involved with the Orioles.

Maybe Cal could be part of the Nashville group.  I could really see that happening.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes but he knows that going to games is more than just seeing a good team.  Its entertainment for the kids, its socializing with friends and clients, etc...and if he can provide that and sell concert tickets and collect revenue sharing money, he can make money and not spend much. 

Been telling you guys for a while.  This ownership group is a cancer.  Everyone keeps jumping on me for saying this rebuild stuff is bs, that it doesn't need to take 4+ years.  Well guess what, this is what I am talking about.  Its all a cover because John doesn't want to spend.  He can hide behind this.  He brought in a GM that can say, it takes time, like we did in Houston.  Be patient, etc...Is all a lie.  Its a Fugazi (cue McConnaghey in Wolf of Wall Street).

It doesn't cost anything to do the things Elias is doing.  People on here have argued that its expensive to build a DR facility.  No its not, not in the grand scheme of things.  The Orioles are going to pay Jordan Lyles the same amount of money (or close to it) that it cost to build that facility.  Its a drop in the bucket.  It is needed and its great they are doing it but its all a part of the cover of showing people that you are trying while you collect money and ignore the ML team.

Well we haven't heard John Angelos' side of this yet. We know he has interests elsewhere and the Orioles have not spent much outside of Jordan Lyles, the DR facility, and all of their Amateur draft funds.

According to the lawsuit, John nixed the sale of the team, so if he really just wanted an out and cash in that would have been a good opportunity. 

As for how the team has been rebuilt, I'm not saying Elias has been right how he's done the rebuild, but I don't necessarily know if he would have done things differently if he more cash on hand. He seemed to be all in on the Houston model of breaking it all down, collecting good draft picks, then rebuilding. 

It's taken him a lot longer already to get the team back to decent shape and his 1st round picks have not exactly shown to be amazing at the major league league level yet despite drafting college heavy.

I'm not saying your wrong here, just saying that I don't have enough information to draw firm conclusions.

• Upvote 1