Angelos Family Fued

Going Underground

9 minutes ago, interloper said:

Why to people want Ripken anywhere near this organization after seeing how poorly he's run Aberdeen? 

He's got a lot of money, has run a profitable business with Ripken Baseball, his name recognition is good for Baltimore baseball

However, I will agree about Aberdeen. My wife is from Aberdeen, I worked in their school system for a few years, and coached baseball at their high school for a season before moving to NC. I always felt like the Ironbirds and the Ripken facilities were on an island away from Aberdeen the town itself. I don't feel like the team did anything to improve the area through community programs or outreach efforts; I never saw them in the schools. The Ripken facilities themselves were more like an entertainment facility that was rented out for corporate events, big fancy parties, etc. and you could happen to catch a baseball game in the Summer. When baseball families came to town for youth tournaments, they stayed on that island for the most part and besides the corporate strip of restaurants and hotels off the exit, baseball families visiting Aberdeen for a Ripken tournament didn't venture into Aberdeen itself and spend their money at small businesses. There hasn't ever been a revitalization for Aberdeen's downtown area. There weren't any loyal Ironbird fans in Aberdeen from what I observed. Just did a terrible job of connecting with the actual town and residents. The one perk is that the Ironbirds included the High School Field as part of their baseball facilities for hosting tournaments (at least at the time), so we typically had Ripken employees dragging and prepping the fields for us; saved a lot of time. It was a quality HS field for being up North.

I think Cal just would be part of the ownership group.  Been rumored him and Larry Luccino.Also David Rubenstein, if he dosen't buy the Nationals.Grew up in Baltimore and a lifelong Oriole fan. Jim Davis who worked with Steve Biscotti on Allegis Group. We know Goldman is in talks exploring a potential sale but if and when it happens, who knows?  Be a good pr move if you buy the team and then immediately sign the long term lease. 

On 6/9/2022 at 6:59 PM, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

No but it will be nice when ownership isn’t a complete clown show. I wonder if Elias is working on an exit strategy already.

Get the O’s above .500 as a springboard for greener and less dysfunctional pastures. 

Like I said earlier hopefully this doesn't get too messy because Elias is a hot commodity now. I think Elias wants to see through what he's built up to this point, but that could be subject to change if the ownership situation gets ugly.

I know he's under contract, but for how much longer.  

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

Who cares who it is?   So long as they’re not moving the team.  

I might be in the minority, but I’m pretty happy with how John Angelos has run things.   He hired a good GM.  He’s let him do his thing.   The team is in a good competitive position now.   He’s convinced the state to invest in the area around the stadium.   Obviously the one thing he hasn’t done yet is spend serious money on payroll, but there wasn’t any point in doing that until now.   So if he loosens the purse strings a little, I’m happy to have him continue to be in charge.   The lawsuit is a nuisance but I don’t think it really affects anything.   The only real downside here is that the Angelos family doesn’t have the pockets to subsidize the team’s operations; it has to stand on its own as a profitable business.  But a well-run team can do that.  

John was in charge of MASN for a long time. I really don't want him as the long term owner even though I do appreciate how he's allowed Elias to run things how he sees fit, albeit within a very tight budget so far. In addition, its pretty clear by the court documents that this family no longer has the funds of other streams of income to invest into the team.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

John was in charge of MASN for a long time. I really don't want him as the long term owner even though I do appreciate how he's allowed Elias to run things how he sees fit, albeit within a very tight budget so far. In addition, its pretty clear by the court documents that this family no longer has the funds of other streams of income to invest into the team.

Zero chance that any Angelos is the long-term owner. They're just waiting for . . . you know.