O's are willing to move Tillman in right deal, per Roch

Sterling Bird

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This nugget was burried in the new post by Roch this morning. I thought it was worth noting that O's are more willing to move Tillman than Arrieta in the right deal.

http://masnsports.com/index_blog_roch.html

I have a feeling, AM is upto something :scratchchinhmm: althought it could take forever to get something done :D

You thoughts?

Sorry for misspelling Roch. I don't know how to fix the title :(

Don't trade Tillman. Just: :no:

I think this is just hypothetical stuff. I dont think we are really looking to move him. Probally just the way the front office views their prospect status. Now it seems that Matusz and Arrieta are viewed as the 1 and 2 pitching prospects. Tillman third.

Most other publications have Tillman the top.

This is good. It shows that AM is willing to do whatever is necessary to acquire the necessary pieces needed to win.

I am sure he would have to blown away, but still this is good to hear.

Teams have problems IMO when they think there prospects are deemed untouchable.

You have to be flexible and open to anything. This is good news!!!

With that said, people should not view this as troubling news and that these guys are not that good. Dont misread this nugget of information.

Take it at face value, AM loves them, but is open to anything. You always have to listen...

Sounds to me that it's more "The Orioles are higher on Arrieta than Tillman" than anything else

I think there are a couple of things to take from this:

It tracks Stotle's opinion that Arrieta, despite being behind Tillman, is closer to ML-ready. Tillman has a higher risk profile, right now, because he's younger and his upside remains projectability. Combine that with the fact that his FB hasn't quite progressed the way we might like, and you've got an opportunity for the O's to sell high (his year-end rankings should be top-20 in most publications) if the right deal comes along.

That said, I don't think the O's WANT to trade Tillman. And it would take quite a deal to make it happen.

I'd say the O's are willing to part with pretty much anybody in the right deal, regardless of what the media states.

Spot on there Hank. The O's have to be willing to part with anyone as long

as they get what they want back.

Who knows what some team might offer for Tillman??? It might be too good

to turn down.

Would the Baltimore Orioles trade Chris Tillman to the Cincinnati Reds for firstbaseman Joey Votto?

The Reds reportedly are high on firstbase prospect Yonder Alonso.

If we miss on Tex, I'd definitely be down for that!

Also, if we sign Tex, I'd be down for a Tillman-Gordon or Tillman-Hardy swap.

I can not imagine that being true, since Tillman had a better year at AA, then Arrieta had at A… and more importantly is two years younger.

Tillman

4/15/88

135.2 IP, 115 hits, 154 k's, 65 walks, 11-4, 3.18 ERA

Arrieta

3/6/86

113 IP, 80 hits, 120 k's, 51 walks, 6-5, 2.87 ERA.

That is no knock on Arrieta… many called him the most developed pitcher on the US Olympic team… and as a former college pitcher, I expect him to move quick if he succeeds at Bowie this year…. But there is no way the O's like him better.

You're looking for the answer in the numbers but you're not going to find it there. Honestly, it's gotta be about FB command and risk profile.

Saying there's "no way" the O's like Arrieta better by looking at a single metric is too narrow.

If the O's see a somewhat limited ceiling due to Tillman's living in the low-90s, and think Arrieta will be contributing at the ML-level first, and think that Tillman's stock is overvalued due to his press and statistics, then they certainly could value Arrieta more.

In fact, the very numbers that you point out are WHY they may be willing to trade Tillman, if what it means is his stock has elevated past the value that the O's - who possess the most, and likely best, information about him - assign to him.

This is good. It shows that AM is willing to do whatever is necessary to acquire the necessary pieces needed to win.

I am sure he would have to blown away, but still this is good to hear.

Teams have problems IMO when they think there prospects are deemed untouchable.

You have to be flexible and open to anything. This is good news!!!

With that said, people should not view this as troubling news and that these guys are not that good. Dont misread this nugget of information.

Take it at face value, AM loves them, but is open to anything. You always have to listen...

I second your sentiment. You made excellent points. I think O's should be open all possibilities to improve team. I also did not want it to be misunderstood that O's are actually looking to move any but it's nice to hear that O's are not limiting their options.

Archived