Who do you want? Who do we take?

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Let’s stop talking like college is an option for these guys.  They aren’t going to college unless someone is trying to sign them for like 2M.  

At least a couple of these guys come from enough family money that they can afford to play hardball with teams.  Perhaps even to the extant of telling teams to not draft them in an attempt to control their destination.

If you think Jones is the BPA but he tells you flat out he won't sign do you pick him anyway?

Edited by Can_of_corn

23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

At least a couple of these guys come from enough family money that they can afford to play hardball with teams.  Perhaps even to the extant of telling teams to not draft them in an attempt to control their destination.

If you think Jones is the BPA but he tells you flat out he won't sign do you pick him anyway?

I think the idea that there families have money is meaningless. 

First of all, you have no idea how much money their dads give them.  They could be like Shaq who won’t give his kids his money until they get their Masters.

Secondly, they want to make their own money.

They are not going to risk getting hurt, going to college, etc…these kids want to go play baseball now…get them that much closer to the majors, free agency, etc…

Just now, Sports Guy said:

First of all, you have no idea how much money their dads give them.  They could be like Shaq who won’t give his kids his money until they get their Masters.

They are not going to risk getting hurt, going to college, etc…these kids want to go play baseball now…get them that much closer to the majors, free agency, etc…

You act as if we have never had players in pro sports drafts attempt to influence their destination.  It happens.  Some of these guys have all the leverage in the world to tell a team no.

BTW I find it hilarious how you assume you know the motivations of these kids you've never met.

Hint, we don't know them, we don't know what motivates them or what they think is most important.

Maybe one of them really wants to go to the Mets at #11?  The Mets have a large pool (3rd overall) and an owner willing to spend.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You act as if we have never had players in pro sports drafts attempt to influence their destination.  It happens.  Some of these guys have all the leverage in the world to tell a team no.

BTW I find it hilarious how you assume you know the motivations of these kids you've never met.

Hint, we don't know them, we don't know what motivates them or what they think is most important.

Maybe one of them really wants to go to the Mets at #11?  The Mets have a large pool (3rd overall) and an owner willing to spend.

They may try to dictate where they go but if they don’t get their way, they aren’t going to go to college and give Up the money.

Zero chance of that.  

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Except that guys have not signed in the past so you really can't say zero chance.

If they are being offered somewhere around slot, zero chance they go to school.

A guy like Aiken is a totally different situation and btw, he made the wrong decision By not taking the lesser offer.

33 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Depends what the family values.  I remember when Danny Hultzen, who is from around here, was a senior in high school.   He would have been a top prep prospect but he made it clear he was going to college.  He comes from a family of doctors and they wouldn’t hear of him skipping college.  Heck, they even set up a big trust fund for him that only vested if he went to med school.  He ultimately went no. 2 in the draft and got an $8 mm bonus, but got hurt and only got into 6 games in the majors. Now he’s in the Cubs front office.  

I doubt Jones or Holliday cares much about going to college, however.  

6 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

As I was saying..they are going to meet with several guys:

Meeting with guys and having them come to OPACY are two different things but thanks for the snippet of information.  Sounds like very inside information.  Almost too inside to be believable.   Would Elias be leaking that kind of information to leverage against the Jones camp?  Hmmmm.

6 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

As I was saying..they are going to meet with several guys:

Hey that extra 800k will get you Creed Willems.

Not bashing Creed too much, but you also have to find a dance partner willing to take overslot cash. The right player has to fall to you. There’s risk in the underslot then overslot business. It’s not completely risk adverse. 

I think they should take Druw Jones and that the extra comp pick we got from the Marlins should make it easier to take him. Paying him won’t blow our entire draft. 

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Meeting with guys and having them come to OPACY are two different things but thanks for the snippet of information.  Sounds like very inside information.  Almost too inside to be believable.   Would Elias be leaking that kind of information to leverage against the Jones camp?  Hmmmm.

Yea because making a special trip and flying to another state is obviously means they value Holliday less.

43 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea because making a special trip and flying to another state is obviously means they value Holliday less.

Haha. Passive aggressive?  

I agree. If they flew to St. Louis and talked numbers that is more important than a visit to OPACY.