Bullpen has been excellent.

DocJJ

Lopez has thrived in the 1-inning role but I still feel like the zoom from SP to one-inning guy is too far.

It sucks The Sting of Losing Winnable Games has doubled up, but even if he's a nugget for the medium term teams I don't feel like the 9th inning is his optimal role.    I feel he can push 90-100 innings effectively and whether Bautista grows to it or it is someone else I want more of a dominator at the back of the pen.

That sentence being typed...it is true as ever the last thing a 90+ loss team needs is a closer, and its pleasant striding towards the seasons Orioles forecasts are nowhere near that.

1 hour ago, forphase1 said:

Sure looks more than just 'bad luck'.  Looks like he's throwing some meatballs that are getting crushed.  As I said, his ball doesn't seem to be breaking with the same bite.  He faced 5 batters, giving up 4 hits.  Yeah, one was a broken bat single that could be called bad luck.  The rest just were good hits against pitches that didn't seem to be very good.  We know no pitcher is perfect all season.  I get that.  But the past 2 games are certainly a concern.  

Could he have some sort of injury or ailment and is trying to work through it?

9 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Lots of managers get caught up in the Closer.

It's part of the reason I don't want to designate one guy for the role.

When you're down 9-3 since the 5th inning??

13 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Lots of managers get caught up in the Closer.

It's part of the reason I don't want to designate one guy for the role.

The idea of not designating one guy for the role only works when you have two guys with the mentality for fulfill the role.  Your view regarding this has been around for years.  Plenty of progressive teams have tried it and almost all of them have failed.  

This point of view that managers, and front offices for that matter, are stupid and caught up in the idea of a closer is a canard at this point.  Take a look at the articles from those that were on the outside and moved to the inside.  Here are a few from Bill James who went to the Red Sox with the idea that getting rid of the designated closer should be priority number one. 

Closer Usage Debate | Articles | Bill James Online

The All Important Closer | Articles | Bill James Online

Now no one is saying that James is the authority on all matters.  Moreover, no one is saying that a losing team shouldn't trade away their closer in most circumstances no matter how good they are.  But the idea that front offices and managers just haven't looked at the stats and don't understand that closers are overrated assumes that everything can be gleaned from the stats.  I would challenge you to find a SABR guy on the outside that then moved to the inside that has the same views on closers that you seem to have.  And please don't change your argument to closers can be found and developed vs having a designated one in a given season.  

• Upvote 2

I feel that Lopez should be given about 3 days off.  Yeah you don't want to not use Lopez for 3 days, but he has been pitching about every other day for a long time.  A lot of times it has been mentioned that he has pitched 3 of the last 4 games.  Rest him and then put him in a nonstressful game situations.  Where the O's are up or down by 3 or more runs.  Maybe up by 4.  Hopefully that will help him get his confidence back.  Probably Bautista should be closer in the meantime, but the O's might go with Perez.