Austin Voth

accinfo

• 1 month later...

The Orioles are 8-2 in games Voth starts, and he's now gone 5+ three times in a row after doing it just once in the first seven starts. 

The bullpen seems to be getting more credit but the out of nowhere quality pitching from Voth, Kremer, and Watkins is a huge reason for this team's success. And of those three Voth is the out-of-nowhere-est.

• Upvote 3

When the Orioles were in their 1966-83 heyday, it seemed like we were always getting players from other teams who played much better once they were in an Orioles uniform.   Guys like Don Buford, Mike Cuellar, Pat Dobson and Steve Stone.   Was it the coaching?  Their teammates?   I don’t know.  But I feel like we are starting to see that with the current O’s.   

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

When the Orioles were in their 1966-83 heyday, it seemed like we were always getting players from other teams who played much better once they were in an Orioles uniform.   Guys like Don Buford, Mike Cuellar, Pat Dobson and Steve Stone.   Was it the coaching?  Their teammates?   I don’t know.  But I feel like we are starting to see that with the current O’s.   

The biggest thing that stands out to me are the tablets in the dugout. The hitting coaches and pitching coaches are teaching after at-bats and between innings and they're using those tablets. I don't know if it's video or whatever data, but whatever it is, it's working. Elias and Sig are building a monster.

I recall Buck's notebook, but never a tablet in his tenure. I think Brandon uses a notebook.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Just like Kremer the night before, I can’t say enough about Voth. So we pick Voth up with a 10 ERA to be a mop up guy and “get right”. He’s thrusted into the rotation basically immediately, and all he’s done is put up a 3.21 ERA for us. 

I believe this has been mentioned on this board before - Voth has said that the analytics and tools the O's have are vastly superior to what the Nats had.

• Upvote 1

Big Ben, I think it was Ben, mentioned last night that Voth has an elite spin rate on his CB. He also mentioned that the "tilt" of the pitch last night was different than what he had seen previously. Sounds like the analytics staff found a guy who needed a couple of tweeks to his CB and he was going to be able to get MLB hitters out consistently. The Rays had no answer for that CB last night. He threw it whenever he wanted to. He threw it for strikes and he threw it as a chase pitch. Impressive outing until he made a mistake to Randy A. 

Voth was up to 31 out of 80 curves last night, just one shy of 40%.

On the year his Curve usage at 30%.

One of the most dramatic deployment decisions I've ever seen when a Club bares its teeth was when the Astros had Lance McCullers throw like 50 straight curveballs to the Yankees with the AL pennant on the line.

I'm curious to see how big a slice of the pie chart the Voth curve gets the next few turns.

• Upvote 1

On 8/13/2022 at 11:39 AM, Jim'sKid26 said:

Big Ben, I think it was Ben, mentioned last night that Voth has an elite spin rate on his CB. He also mentioned that the "tilt" of the pitch last night was different than what he had seen previously. Sounds like the analytics staff found a guy who needed a couple of tweeks to his CB and he was going to be able to get MLB hitters out consistently. The Rays had no answer for that CB last night. He threw it whenever he wanted to. He threw it for strikes and he threw it as a chase pitch. Impressive outing until he made a mistake to Randy A. 

He's been talking a lot about the shape of that curveball during today's game too. 

Baseball Prospectus had an article on why Voth is succeeding with the Orioles while failing with the Nats and of course analytics is key.  But the author's gist was that the Nats' philosophy doesn't involve pitcher development, instead acquiring them through trade or free agency. 

The organization can do well in developing depth pitching… sometimes… occasionally… But Strasburg aside, the Nats clearly had the (until recently successful) philosophy that a starting pitcher was something you bought or traded for, even when you have perfectly good Austin Voth at home. 

Some interesting graphs from the article:

Voth 1.jpg

Voth 2.jpg

Voth 3.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2