Ok, so now what?

Sports Guy

Know what SG? I'm gonna go out on a limb and disagree with you that Nick extends.

Nick has just seen what can happen to your bank account when you hit the FA market in your late 20's. He's spent three seasons toiling on a horrible ballclub. He has no better idea if Matsuz/Arrieta/Tillman will pan out than the rest of us. He has no idea if this team will EVER compete...just like the rest of us.

I'm sure Nick has been promised that we'll build around him...essentially the same pitch that Tex got to come here.

If we extend Nick, he'll do the smart thing and request an opt out so he can be free after his 28/29 season if this "rebuilding" project is failing.

Mark my words, Nick Markakis will have his day on the free agent market. It could be anywhere from two to five years from now, but he will have it.

It's just my hope that the Orioles have unscrewed themselves by then so he'll think about sticking around rather than bolting up the coast as soon as he possibly can.

Then we will also have to worry about Wieters. This is going to mark a problem unless we can get Nick to extend. It's not like it isn't possible for our young guys to drop like flys from this team.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, the only way AM can convience Nick to stay is to try and trade for a bonefide 1B that is somewhat young and up and coming or sign Dunn and get some legit pitching. It will be interesting to see what the FO's Plan B is now that we have lost out on Tex.

Not to single you out, but try to accept that Tex was PLAN B. They were on PLAN A until Tex got their feathers all in a bunch because he said he wanted to come home. He didn't, he wanted a team to help make the Yankees pay him more money.

You can sell Kakes on what's coming up through the system. Once B-Rob is gone, Kakes is King in Baltimore. Sell him on that. This franchise is going places and he can be the quiet leader at the helm.

And if he goes there's Wieters who, by all accounts, is an extremely impressive person and leader.

I think we made a big mistake letting Cabrera go. We should have done the opposite: find 4 more bean ballers.. Can you imagine the Steinbrenners every time a Jeter or Arod or Tex steps up to the plate and we wing one at their $23 million helmets? Or maybe charge the mound at CC etc. We may not win, but at least the ensuing on-field fights and turmoil will be more interesting than the wonderful pitching staff we'll have this year. If they kick us out of MLB, we could always join the WWF!!!

Think of the opportunities for selling new caps and shirts.

Nick is starting a family, yes. But does that mean he's gonna want to stay in Baltimore?

Teixera has a family, a wife, kids, etc. Does this mean he wanted to stay in Severna Park with his family?

NO, he got up and will move to New York. Nick Markakis will do the same thing. Brian Roberts too.

Draft well.

Spend money to improve the player development elements of the minor league system.

Take half the money you were going to spend on Teixeira and build a state-of-the-art baseball academy in the Dominican Republic.

Take the other half and build a spring training complex/extended minor league complex in either Sarasota or a similar city.

Continue to offer above slot money to talented players you draft in the late rounds.

Look to trade Huff, Sherrill and BRob as soon as you can get adequate value.

Most importantly, stay the course. If Tampa can do it so can the O's

Nick is starting a family, yes. But does that mean he's gonna want to stay in Baltimore?

Teixera has a family, a wife, kids, etc. Does this mean he wanted to stay in Severna Park with his family?

NO, he got up and will move to New York. Nick Markakis will do the same thing. Brian Roberts too.

The Yankees have 25 roster spots available. Not everyone can go there. There are 28 other feeder teams. Relax guys, it's gonna be alright.

Markakis is under our control another 3 years, I wouldn't give up 2 of those years for prospects now. GET A GRIP!

The Yankees have 25 roster spots available. Not everyone can go there. There are 28 other feeder teams. Relax guys, it's gonna be alright.

Markakis is under our control another 3 years, I wouldn't give up 2 of those years for prospects now. GET A GRIP!

I don't think Markakis is gonna stay for 3 years. He's gonna probably make a stink about it and decide to leave.

The Orioles have to at all costs somehow lock up Matt Wieters, I don't care if the Orioles have to fire MacPhail for it to happen, but Wieters must have some FA years bought out and a LT deal.

He is going to be the next big thing, and possibly the next Teixeira if the Orioles aren't careful...

Archived