Blake Snell available?

Sports Guy

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It bothers me too.  But if the report from the initial post is true and you can add him without giving up much, I think it’s worth it.  Maybe you extend him.  Or maybe you can deal him a year from now for more than you are giving up now.

I hadn't read it until now.  Lot's of conjecture by the writer.   I can see them dealing Hosmer and Myers and eating money.    The real question is, why does a contender trade an arm like Snell who is exactly what you need in a short series.   Doesn't make a lot of sense to me unless they have at least 3 starters better.   The way he looked last night, I'd want him  in a short series against the Dodgers or anyone else.

I will say this month I am interested in being a Preller business partner.    He's going to be under the gun if this team doesn't work.

Manny is busting his hump trying to save the club he picked to be Jordan and Pippen with Tatis on, and this is their last year with Musgrove, Manaea, Clevinger and Rogers.    Super clubs like the Dodgers shunning Hall of Famers (yeah, we don't want you, peace out) is very motivating emotionally, I imagine.   Would love his help beating them in 2024 on if Gunnar a shortstop!

I believe this $200mm team is the high water mark cash outlay wise for the Seidler ownership group.   Preller's signature disruption of the IFA market 6 years ago has not paid obvious dividends, the team is finished buying its Trumbos and Cobbs with a better roster core and more cash, but renovations are still needed.    Prospects can always offset salary.

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The real question is, why does a contender trade an arm like Snell who is exactly what you need in a short series. 

He's 10th on the team YTD in K-BB%.     $$$/WAR-wise I'd guess he evaluates as one of the weakest on the team outside the Hosmer Cliffs of Insanity zone.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=20&type=1&season=2022&month=0&season1=2022&ind=0&team=29&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2022-01-01&enddate=2022-12-31&sort=8,d

He'd probably be awesome in the Jack McKeon-Dontrelle Willis RP type gig, but might be a little sensitive on that subject as the Rays algorithm sat him down in the game of his life.

3 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Yarbrough looks a lot like a non-tender candidate from here.   He's maybe a decent example of a Rays assembly line player who is good enough through Arb2.    He's already been left off a playoff roster and relegated to Up/Down status this year despite decent career accomplishments.

Yes he would improve the floor for the 2023 Orioles pitching 1425 innings but believe he'll be available to that for just $$$, and its such a low bar to clear.

Snell...I kind of feel like it being 1.3 years not 2.3 years is a feature not a bug for keeping it short-term with pitchers.   If Orioles $$$ could help the Padres with their cap and get him on to our staff with that not talent, it'd be wonderful.

Love the commentary, this is the kinda stuff we should be doing, good sign. Execution is key 

8 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I hadn't read it until now.  Lot's of conjecture by the writer.   I can see them dealing Hosmer and Myers and eating money.    The real question is, why does a contender trade an arm like Snell who is exactly what you need in a short series.   Doesn't make a lot of sense to me unless they have at least 3 starters better.   The way he looked last night, I'd want him  in a short series against the Dodgers or anyone else.

I agree with all of this.  It may not be real but I would be checking.

Either way, I think the Padres are a team we can work with. We can take on salary for good prospects or add a guy like Snell who could help this year and especially next.

Padres leading outfielder has been Jurickson Profar who just went on 7 day concussion IL.  Nomar Mazara has played in 30 games this year with respectable numbers but his track record with Texas, CWS and Detroit in the past, not stellar. Yesterday’s OF batted 7-8-9, with OPS’s of .000, .624, .629.   Need to be talking to them.   They do have a trade-able competitive balance draft pick at #39.

13 minutes ago, JimGinSP said:

Padres leading outfielder has been Jurickson Profar who just went on 7 day concussion IL.  Nomar Mazara has played in 30 games this year with respectable numbers but his track record with Texas, CWS and Detroit in the past, not stellar. Yesterday’s OF batted 7-8-9, with OPS’s of .000, .624, .629.   Need to be talking to them.   They do have a trade-able competitive balance draft pick at #39.

Snell +39 sounds juicy. What gets that done? Santander +? Would they be interested in someone like Nuestrom? 

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Santander as a headliner for Snell would be so great.

I mean it does make sense for both sides. SD has plenty of SP performing better than Snell. They apparently need to cut some salary. SD offense is abysmal outside of Manny. Can SD get a deal for a better hitter by dangling Snell?

5 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I mean it does make sense for both sides. SD has plenty of SP performing better than Snell. They apparently need to cut some salary. SD offense is abysmal outside of Manny. Can SD get a deal for a better hitter by dangling Snell?

Maybe.  Tough to say.  They should get more though, I will say that but his ERA and salary may make that harder.  Plus teams know they need to cut salary.  

7 minutes ago, JimGinSP said:

Based on this boards’ evaluation of Hays vs Santander I think you need to be offering Hays to the Padres.  Now whether FO professionals value Hays above Santander I can’t say.  

I don’t see us dangling Hays …. For the time being Cedric and Hays are 2/3 of our OF in the short term. Elias would have to be blown away. Snell and his salary are the opposite. Plus as I said in another post, Arizona is rumored to be looking to dump salary. Bumgarner with them eating salary for a C prospect or 2 is a better option.