Mancini trade market heating up? Orioles willing to deal Santander? Yankees and Mets?

Sports Guy

30 minutes ago, oriole said:

It was already going to be a PR hit moving Trey even if they’re bottom dwellers just because he’s a fan favorite. Imagine how fans would react if he was traded AND they’re a few games from a wild card spot. 

I think it’d have to be a pretty good trade and I have a hard time believing Trey has any more value to anyone else than he would to the Orioles, assuming they don’t start losing a lot between now and the trade deadline. 

Giving into the fans is among the many reasons why we’ve been bad for so long

I think in next two weeks you go to Trey and offer 2/24 or 3/36 team option offer and see what he says.  If he takes it then you move Santander and bring up Stowers.  You have two guys you can move and really only have to move one.  

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Who cares about the PR stuff.  That will get muted by all the young kids coming up and the team continuing to be exciting.

PR isn’t why you keep him.

Exactly! Wouldn’t you rather have Stowers, Henderson, Westburg and Mayo use the DH spot to rest/rotate along with Mountcastle and others. Roster flexibility!!!

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

There is no way Mancini is getting anywhere near that long a contract or that much money on the open market.  In his wildest dreams, Mancini is probably looking at something like the 3/$37.5 mm that Trumbo got.   

And let's not forget that was a terrible overpay for Trumbo, not only due to his lack of production but also the lost flexibility from having the DH spot locked in for three years. It just doesn't make strategic sense to be locking up OF/DH when that is the strength of our pipeline, plus you want the flexibility of the DH spot in case any of our prospects go the Mountcastle route.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Who cares about the PR stuff.  That will get muted by all the young kids coming up and the team continuing to be exciting.

PR isn’t why you keep him.

I agree with you in the sense that it was always going to be a hard sell to fans to trade Mancini. But to trade away a productive fan favorite in the middle of a hypothetical chase for the playoffs after a long stretch of losing years is a totally different thing.

I still think it’s good to trade him unless they’re solidly in the chas. If they’re just a couple games out from the wild card at the deadline then it seems like a self defeating move. And there is absolutely no certainty that any of the young guys can match Mancini's production. 

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

And let's not forget that was a terrible overpay for Trumbo, not only due to his lack of production but also the lost flexibility from having the DH spot locked in for three years. It just doesn't make strategic sense to be locking up OF/DH when that is the strength of our pipeline, plus you want the flexibility of the DH spot in case any of our prospects go the Mountcastle route.

Well, we could have lived with the lack of flexibility if Trumbo had been healthy and performed well.  The irony here is that we had Trumbo’s replacement coming up through our minor league system — Mancini.   But the team has made the playoffs and was reluctant to take the chance that Mancini could ably fill Trumbo’s shoes.   We’re now in that exact situation with Mancini as the proven veteran and Stowers ready to come up.  

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2022 at 12:07 PM, oriole said:

I agree with you in the sense that it was always going to be a hard sell to fans to trade Mancini. But to trade away a productive fan favorite in the middle of a hypothetical chase for the playoffs after a long stretch of losing years is a totally different thing.

I still think it’s good to trade him unless they’re solidly in the chas. If they’re just a couple games out from the wild card at the deadline then it seems like a self defeating move. And there is absolutely no certainty that any of the young guys can match Mancini's production. 

The O's can't even draw 10k fans on a lot of weekdays.  How many fans are there.  You know what will draw more fans--winning!  Adley needs a couple of days a week at DH, plus DH at bats are needed to rest our OF.  I just don't see a spot for Mancini. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Mancini & Lopez 

For 

Ramirez, Allan, Dominiquez, and Suarez

I think Hamel is a great return for a half season of Mancini. I'm not sure we match up well when we include Lopez. Not a huge fan of their other pitching prospects. 

On 7/10/2022 at 7:54 AM, Chaka Garcia said:

Exactly! Wouldn’t you rather have Stowers, Henderson, Westburg and Mayo use the DH spot to rest/rotate along with Mountcastle and others. Roster flexibility!!!

I thought we were going to use them as trade bait to booster our minor league system?

7 hours ago, UMDTerrapins said:

I think Hamel is a great return for a half season of Mancini. I'm not sure we match up well when we include Lopez. Not a huge fan of their other pitching prospects. 

Why ? I chose Allan over Hamel because you get the better ranked player but he’s about a year removed from TJ. I’d Do the same deal with Hamel. Lopez probably brings back 2-3 good pieces on his own. I went Ramirez, Dominquez, and Suarez mostly because they fit the A level player stuff to help stock the lower levels. Looking to see if they have anyone that you could slot in higher didn’t happen. They need pitching and their minor league cupboard is bare. They might overpay depending on what else is out there