Monday July 4 afternoon: Orioles' first July 4 home game in 14 years

SteveA

2 minutes ago, Gentile4 said:

If we were in a race for a playoff spot, I'd agree with you, but young pitchers have to learn how to get out of a jam. 

Yeah, he probably left him in one batter too long.   But Vespi was the guy he had warming and he wanted Kremer to face the righty Garber and then bring in Vespit to face the lefty Duggar.

Turns out to have been the worst result possible with Garber hitting the HR.

Don't know when he got Vespi up, but Kremer came into the inning with a shutout going, in fact with 20+ shutout innings in a row.   So I don't think getting someone up before the inning was called for.   Then there were the 3 quick hits in succession, I wonder when Vespi got up.   Could he have been ready in time for Lowe?  I really don't know.

2 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Agreed. Almost as if the game moved too quickly for Hyde. Those first two runs were on 3 pitches after Seager's first-pitch single. Seager can hit anyone, but Mitch Garver and his lefty-killing career stats (.870 OPS, 25 homers in 387 ABs) shd have never been allowed to bat against a 90-pitches-thrown southpaw with 2 runners on. Very poor managing.

Kremer's a righthander.  We had a lefty warming int he pen, that is why he had Kremer face Garber.   

Now you could perhaps argue we should have had Baker up as well, I suppose.

Just now, SteveA said:

Yeah, he probably left him in one batter too long.   But Vespi was the guy he had warming and he wanted Kremer to face the righty Garber and then bring in Vespit to face the lefty Duggar.

Turns out to have been the worst result possible with Garber hitting the HR.

Don't know when he got Vespi up, but Kremer came into the inning with a shutout going, in fact with 20+ shutout innings in a row.   So I don't think getting someone up before the inning was called for.   Then there were the 3 quick hits in succession, I wonder when Vespi got up.   Could he have been ready in time for Lowe?  I really don't know.

Pretty sure Vespi was up in plenty of time. I get the RH RH logic but Kremer was clearly on the ropes.

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Kremer's a righthander.  We had a lefty warming int he pen, that is why he had Kremer face Garber.   

Whoops! Thanks for the correction. Yes, having a righty up (either alone or along with Vespi) seems like common sense.

7 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Yes, the game was moving very quickly. But one could argue that with a very dangerous string of four hitters (Seager, Garcia [15 HRs], Lowe, Garber) coming up for their third AB vs. Kremer with two runners on, Hyde should have had the 'pen more prepared.