Gunnar Henderson Now #5 in MLB.com Updated Top 100

StillanOfan

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Yeah. If everyone's doing it, I agree. I didn't realize so many were.

I mean, why wouldn’t you?  For the Os to do it this year, it means they pay a total of about 1.4M.  Is that really a big deal?

BTW, the Pirates have apparently gone over every year since 2013.

8 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

To me it just means the cap is a feckless tool that is just giving certain owners an excuse to save a few bucks. The real cap is 105% of your allocation.

Actually, it’s 104.9%.  If you go to 5%, the penalties become much more severe.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

20 MLb teams went over within the 4.9% threshold last year.  There is zero reason not to do this.

Generally, the teams have a good idea what players will sign for when they draft them, but they usually don’t know exactly.  So, they pick their players without knowing exactly how much they will need to spend to sign them all.   I don’t think it matters much if the team ends up spending $400 k over or $400 k under the cap, so long as they get all their draftees signed.   Obviously, you hope that the team doesn’t decline to choose a player because they think it will put them over the penalty figure, and then turn out to be wrong about what it would have taken to sign him.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Generally, the teams have a good idea what players will sign for when they draft them, but they usually don’t know exactly.  So, they pick their players without knowing exactly how much they will need to spend to sign them all.   I don’t think it matters much if the team ends up spending $400 k over or $400 k under the cap, so long as they get all their draftees signed.   Obviously, you hope that the team doesn’t decline to choose a player because they think it will put them over the penalty figure, and then turn out to be wrong about what it would have taken to sign him.

Seriously?  You don’t think it matters?  Maybe there is a guy there they really want and they know they have to go over their pool to get it and if ownership doesn’t allow that because of some small bs penalty, that’s a real problem.

57 minutes ago, Frobby said:

A difference of 800k in spending is huge.

That's an overslot.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Seriously?  You don’t think it matters?  Maybe there is a guy there they really want and they know they have to go over their pool to get it and if ownership doesn’t allow that because of some small bs penalty, that’s a real problem.

Almost no teams go over the penalty amount.   

6 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Correct but Mets might be breaking that tradition in a big way this year. 

Yes, so I hear.   Cohen is not out to make friends with his fellow owners.   He thinks the draftees are underpriced and that this investment will be profitable even with the penalties.  He’s probably right, but his fellow owners won’t be happy that he’s disrupting their collusive behavior.  

17 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

You didn’t realize that but you explained how the under/over slot strategy to me like a 3 year old child? This board man….some really rude folks on here. 

You should choose your allies more carefully.