Bowden trade ideas for Division leaders

Sports Guy

https://theathletic.com/3406398/2022/07/08/mlb-trades-first-place-teams/?source=user_shared_article

Twins (47-38, 4 1/2-game lead in AL Central)

Biggest weakness: Bullpen

Solution: Acquire RHP Jorge Lópezand RHP Félix Bautista in trade with Orioles for RHP Simeon Woods Richardson

The Twins rank 10th in the AL in bullpen ERA at 3.81 and have converted only 18 of 35 save opportunities. If they are going to maintain their lead in the AL Central, they must improve the bullpen before the trade deadline.

The best trade fit for Minnesota to address this weakness is probably the Orioles, who rank fifth in the majors in bullpen ERA at 3.26. The Orioles have done an impressive rebuilding job, but they are likely still two years away from legitimately contending, so there’s little reason to let bullpen arms stand in the way of furthering the rebuild. Therefore, a trade of their closer, Jorge López, and a set-up reliever the caliber of Félix Bautista for a future middle-of-the-rotation starter such as Simeon Woods Richardson makes sense for both teams.

López, 29, has posted a 1.79 ERA in 37 appearances and converted 15 of 19 save opportunities. Bautista, 27, has registered a 1.89 ERA in 36 appearances, with 41 strikeouts in 33 1/3 innings. Woods Richardson, 21, was acquired in the José Berríos trade at last year’s deadline. He is 2-3 this season at Double-A Wichita, where he has a 3.40 ERA and a 1.132 WHIP (allowing seven hits per nine innings) in 11 starts. He’s currently on the injured list.

Mets (52-31, 3 1/2-game lead in NL East)

Biggest weakness: Offensive production from the DH spot

Solution: Acquire 1B/OF/DH Trey Mancini in trade with Orioles for RHP Dominic Hamel and RHP Calvin Ziegler

The Mets have not gotten enough offense from their designated hitters and a trade for Trey Mancini makes sense on so many levels. Mancini, 30, has been the face of the Orioles for several years. But he will decline his side of a 2023 mutual option after this season, according to sources, and become a free agent, so the Orioles should trade him before the deadline.

Mancini, who overcame stage 3 colon cancer, has hit 21 or more home runs in each of his last four seasons. This year, he’s slashed .280/.354/.423 with 15 doubles, eight home runs and 33 RBIs. Mancini is batting .299 against fastballs and .278 against breaking balls and ranks in the 9oth percentile in the league in xwOBA, the 92nd percentile in xBA and the 82nd percentile in max exit velocity. His ability to play first base and the outfield corners would give the Mets more flexibility and allow them to give other players days off down the stretch.

The Orioles will continue to focus on acquiring pitching at this trade deadline, and fair compensation for Mancini would be something like right-handers Dominic Hamel and Calvin Ziegler. Hamel, 23, was the Mets’ third-round pick in the 2021 draft. He’s gone 5-2 with a 3.84 ERA in 14 appearances (13 starts) this season at High-A Brooklyn, striking out 71 in 63 1/3 innings. Ziegler, 19, was the Mets’ second-round pick in 2021. He’s posted a 3.57 ERA in 10 starts this season at Low-A St. Lucie, with 57 strikeouts in 35 1/3 innings. He’s also walked 21 and has a lot of work to do on command and control. However, if the Orioles could get two quality arms like this for a rental, it’s a no-brainer.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

The Mets trade would be no brained but doubt we get both for rental.  I would take one and a lottery ticket type player though.   I don’t like the trading of Bautista as he is cheap and have control of him 5 years.  He should be seen as future closer when we are ready to contend.  

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

That Mets trade sounds like a good get without knowing anything additional than provided on those pitchers.  I think Bautista could be the closer of the future, I don't like the idea of trading him at all.

I’m with you…but if you are getting a mid rotation, cost controlled arm, you do it.

That said, I really don’t want to trade Bautista.  I think he has been one of the most impressive players on the team this year.

I would try to move Lopez and Tate before him.

• Upvote 4

I’m not sure you can get that for Mancini but his connection with Buck and the idea that the Mets will give up talent to win is definitely there.

Buck doesn’t care about prospects or the long term.  Cohen will just buy what he wants, so replenishing prospects is easy for him.  It’s a good match for the team and it’s good for Trey.  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, JimGinSP said:

Does Bowden realize the Twins just beat Lopez two times in a row last weekend?  I get the whole body of work thing but if Twins are looking, he wouldn’t be 1st on their list.

I wouldn't bet that they aren't interested.  I suspect he was tipping his pitches to the Twins.  Their offense was awful every game until they got to Lopez.  I didn't make much sense.  

The price for Bautista would be super steep for me.  Good possibility that Lopez is a guy that's about to turn into a pumpkin, IMO.  Need to see how he rebounds from this rough stretch he's been through but I'd be much more inclined to part with him before Bautista.  

Bautista is cheap, controlled talent.  Gotta keep that guy around unless there's some significant value coming back.  

• Upvote 4

I don’t know if WAR directly corresponds with actual value, because if you take López and Bautista off this team we are undoubtedly 5+ games worse than we are. 

We should be trying to compete for a playoff spot next year, and that doesn’t mean trading López and Bautista. Unless we are completely blown away. That trade above does not fit. 

As is, I see no glaring weaknesses in next year’s team other than SP. We shouldn’t create a hole in the BP. Trading Mancini for the best possible package needs to be done. We shouldn’t limit ourselves to getting pitching back because then we can make a deal for pitching in the offseason when there is a bigger market versus the limited deadline market. 

Twins could use a bat too.  So, a package there is possible.  

MLBTR/Nightengale referenced the Mets are hoping to keep prospects (yes, it's a negotiation tool but still...) and are more interested in taking on payroll contracts.  That's not really a fit for us if it's true.  But I do think Mancini is a good fit for NYM.