Which player would you be most/least excited about?

8 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Yep. Hated the Kjerstad pick and was on the record as such on draft day. Lacy is a guy who looks like a bust, but he was never going to be Elias's pick there given his aversion to pitchers (and rightfully so). Martin is a straight bust, but the Jays extracted great value from him in a trade, so he was still a good pick for them. Confident Elias would have done something similar if he had been the O's pick, but Elias probably didn't like Martin's profile on draft day.

I've been posting about liking Hassell, Veen, and Walker much more than Kjerstad since sometime in 2021.

Feel free to cherry pick my posting history, but I've posted more about Gunnar than any other player since 2019. I definitely remember posting in a 2019 draft thread about how I loved the pick. I'm sure it's there somewhere, but I have no need to prove anything to you. And if it's not there, I don't care.

So you wanted two busts over Kjerstad and started to like Hassell and Walker after they started performing in the minors and while Kjerstad couldn't play.  You want to hang your hat on that?

Who's cherry picking?  I went to your only post in the summer of 2020 about the 2020 draft.  Find me another.  If there's only one post about it then there was only one cherry to pick from.

Also, it's pretty weak for guys who wanted Austin Martin to act like it wasn't a bad pick because they were able to trade him.

25 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/druw-jones-eager-for-2022-mlb-draft?t=mlb-draft-coverage

Just read this article on Druw Jones, this kid just sounds like a natural.  I think I will disappointed if we draft anyone else.

I like Holliday and I won’t be mad that they picked him but I would be disappointed to an extent because I don’t think we would have taken the best talent.  Same with Green.

I hadn't gotten far enough into the details of his bio so the high school basketball player like Gunnar Henderson bit was new to me.

Lee is steering the Peak Adley Team for 2025; Druw is steering it to 2028...the others are watered-down variations on the theme.    

No matter how much or not Druw Jones has separated from his peers, all Mike Elias is saying for 100 more hours is there are five guys, five guys, five guys.

I spent most of this period last year hoping we would be in a position to draft Green. I am excited for the pick. Excited for Jones ok with pretty much all the top 5. 

If it’s a curveball will be mildly unnerved. 

Also excited to see what the rest of the draft nets. Especially the next 2 or 3. 

Beginning to hope Rocker is available. 

Id be pretty pumped to net Jones and Rocker with first 2 picks. 

• Upvote 1

Everyone is down playing Jones as interchangeable and not a clear 1:1 but I am starting to see some more info that others are believing Jones is not only the clear 1:1 but possibly the best high school player in a decade. I’m not leaning towards the Os downplaying jones for leverage and end up with him. If they pick a college player first, I won’t be thrilled. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sevastras said:

Everyone is down playing Jones as interchangeable and not a clear 1:1 but I am starting to see some more info that others are believing Jones is not only the clear 1:1 but possibly the best high school player in a decade. 

Links, please?   I’ve seen nothing like that. Not saying it doesn’t exist, but if it does, I’d love to read it.  

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Links, please?   I’ve seen nothing like that. Not saying it doesn’t exist, but if it does, I’d love to read it.  

Kiley McDaniel wrote the following in a fairly extensive article about Jones:

The today version of Jones would go first in most, if not all, recent drafts for most scouts. The players most mentioned as peers come from the 2019 draft (Adley Rutschman and Bobby Witt Jr., though some mentioned Riley Greene and C.J. Abrams), 2012 (Byron Buxton) and 2011 (Gerrit Cole), with some stray mentions of other players also on this tier.

I'd say about a quarter of the scouts called Jones the best draft prospect since Harper was drafted in 2010; the other three-fourths either took one of those other players or thought there was a multiway tie. There are three other former No. 1 picks -- Stephen Strasburg in 2009, David Pricein 2007 and Justin Upton in 2005 -- who join Harper as the only four prospects in recent memory to clearly top Jones.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/insider/story/_/id/33447494/why-druw-jones-best-mlb-draft-prospect-bryce-harper?platform=amp

So, not exactly a consensus best high school prospect in a decade, but a significant amount of scouts that would support that view. 

9 minutes ago, Sydnor said:

Kiley McDaniel wrote the following in a fairly extensive article about Jones:

The today version of Jones would go first in most, if not all, recent drafts for most scouts. The players most mentioned as peers come from the 2019 draft (Adley Rutschman and Bobby Witt Jr., though some mentioned Riley Greene and C.J. Abrams), 2012 (Byron Buxton) and 2011 (Gerrit Cole), with some stray mentions of other players also on this tier.

I'd say about a quarter of the scouts called Jones the best draft prospect since Harper was drafted in 2010; the other three-fourths either took one of those other players or thought there was a multiway tie. There are three other former No. 1 picks -- Stephen Strasburg in 2009, David Pricein 2007 and Justin Upton in 2005 -- who join Harper as the only four prospects in recent memory to clearly top Jones.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/insider/story/_/id/33447494/why-druw-jones-best-mlb-draft-prospect-bryce-harper?platform=amp

So, not exactly a consensus best high school prospect in a decade, but still a significant amount of scouts that would support that view. 

First of all, thanks for that link.  But that article was written on March 8.   sevastras said “I am starting to see some more info that others are believing Jones is not only the clear 1:1 but possibly the best high school player in a decade.”   So, that suggests something more recent exists (or, maybe sevastras only read that article recently).   

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

First of all, thanks for that link.  But that article was written on March 8.   sevastras said “I am starting to see some more info that others are believing Jones is not only the clear 1:1 but possibly the best high school player in a decade.”   So, that suggests something more recent exists (or, maybe sevastras only read that article recently).   

I’m aware that the article is old, but I am not aware of any article written more recently. If I there is something more recent (and I’m not saying my memory is perfect), it’s probably BA or MLB because I read the McDaniel and Law stuff pretty religiously, and I think Longenhagen is the only non-fantasy baseball writer left at Fangraphs right now and they aren’t really covering the draft.

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

• Druw Jones is simply a cut above the rest for us. That’s not to say he’ll be the first pick, but we feel strongly the ceiling here is immense.

• He’s reasonably comfortably the best prospect in this class right now.

https://www.prospectslive.com/prospects-live/2022-mlb-draft-top-400-prospects-h8bxx

• 1. Druw Jones, OF, Wesleyan School (Norcross, Ga.)

Jones is the son of Andruw Jones, and his game bears many resemblances to his father’s, not least in the outfield, where Druw is already a plus defender and could work his way up to an elite level with experience. At the plate, he shows 70 power thanks to the strength in his wrists and forearms, with more power possible as he fills out further. And he has shown some bat control against amateur competition, with some understanding of when to pull the ball and when to try to go the other way. He’s a plus runner right now but may lose some of that down the road as he gets bigger, as his father did by age 24-25. The real question on Druw is whether he’ll hit – if he does, he’s a superstar, with 30/30 potential and a glove that should save 10 or more runs a year in center. If he’s more of a 45 bat, he still has plenty of major-league value due to the secondary skills, so he could be worth several WAR per year even with a .300ish on-base percentage. He’d have to be a worse hitter than even that to be something less than a regular, and the unlikeliness of that outcome combined with his very high ceiling make him the top prospect in this year’s draft class. -Keith Law

• 1) Druw Jones, OF, Wesleyan HS (GA) – Jones flashes the glove and power of his dad, Andruw Jones, and is as close to a true five-tool player as there is in the draft. Hoping he reaches the levels of his father may be asking a bit much, but the hit/power/field combo makes him a clear-cut number one on my board.

2) Elijah Green, OF, IMG Academy (FL) – 12 months ago Green was the favorite to go 1-1, and he likely would still be if not for the incredible Spring Jones put together. Green has the body reminiscent of his NFL Pro Bowl Tight End father Eric Green, and he uses his combination of size and speed well. He has plus raw power and can fly. He should be able to stick in center, but that isn’t a guarantee.-Prospects1500

52 minutes ago, Sydnor said:

I read the McDaniel and Law stuff pretty religiously, and I think Longenhagen is the only non-fantasy baseball writer left at Fangraphs right now and they aren’t really covering the draft.

Based on Longenhagen and Law's discussion on Jones, I didn't get the impression that either of them considered him to be one of the best prospects in recent years. Both of them seem to agree he has the most upside but a lot of his value is carried by his defensive ability. For whatever reason, I have a strong suspicion the pick will be an infielder. I think it's between Holliday, Johnson and Lee.