7 of our next 10 games are against the Rays

Frobby

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

In this critical stretch before the trade deadline, 7 of our next 10 games are with the Rays, who are 48-40 pending one more game with Boston before the weekend 3-game series in Tampa against the O’s.

The Rays have been playing somewhat unevenly over the last month.  Their record stood at 34-23 (.596) on June 9, but they’ve gone 14-17 since then.   They’ve been a little better lately, winning 3 in a row and 7 of their last 11.  They’ve had a bunch of 3-4 game winning and losing streaks over the last month.   So, I think “uneven” is apt.  

The O’s are 4-5 this year against Tampa, getting swept in the season-opening series at the Trop, but twice taking two of three in Baltimore since then.   Hopefully we fare better at the Trop this time around.  

Tampa’s offense averages 4.17 runs per game, as does ours.   The team OPS is .684, to our .683.   Their top hitters are Ji-Man Choi (150 OPS+), Harold Ramirez (144), Yandy Diaz (143) and Randy Arozarena (112).   The rest of their lineup is thin, and Wander Franco, Manuel Margot and Kevin Kiermaier are all on the IL.   All in all, not a bad time to face the Rays’ lineup.  

The Rays staff is allowing 3.86 runs per game (to our 4.24), pitching to an ERA of 3.33 (to our 3.90).    They’ve been a bit sloppy in the field, allowing 50 unearned runs to our 36.   Their bullpen has a good ERA (3.39) but has been shaky nevertheless, with 22 blown saves in 46 opportunities.  Our bullpen has only a slightly better ERA (3.19) but has been way more effective in preserving leads, blowing only 9 of 33.

I don’t think starters have been announced, but if everyone stays on turn, it’s:

Baz (1-2, 5.00 ERA) v. Wells (7-4, 3.28)

Wisler (opener, 2-3, 2.52 ERA v. Kremer (3-1, 2.15)

Kluber (5-5, 3.58 ERA v. Voth (1-1, 3.80)

Pretty big series to close out the first half, and we’ll see Tampa again very soon after the break.

Baz gave up 7 runs in his last outing.

Patino may could off the IL this weekend.

They have a lot of  players on the IL.  Here is a list.

https://www.mlb.com/rays/news/rays-injuries-and-roster-moves

2B Brandon Lowe may also come of the IL this weekend.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Daddy-O's said:

Great post, there has been some talk that Lyles will pitch on Sunday

Yes, I was going to mention that.  He’d be pitching on regular rest, thanks to the off-day today.  Personally I’d be wary of running him down, considering his workload to date.  But I’m sure he’s lobbying to take the ball.  

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

For those clamoring for DL Hall, Baz's results are probably similar to what you could see from Hall if he were brought up.  Baz has filthy stuff but difficulty locating.  Of course, the other argument is bring them up now so that they can learn.

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Thanks - they really are the walking wounded!  Doesn’t sound like Patino is likely to come off, since he hadn’t had any rehab appearances since July 2.   Not sure why that is.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Thanks - they really are the walking wounded!  Doesn’t sound like Patino is likely to come off, since he hadn’t had any rehab appearances since July 2.   Not sure why that is.   

Injuries have been an issue all year for them.  It’s remarkable they have the record they do.  If they can get healthy in the second half and heading into the playoffs, they could really take off.

Patino got a blister finishing up his rehab...the oblique strain probably all healed and now it is just a thorn in the paw.     I don't know what Grayson can do to keep his fingertips in shape, but whatever can proactively be done to protect September I hope is happening.

Shane Baz is the interesting ballplayer for me to follow for these next few months or years of competition.    His spring elbow cleanup was characterized as "minor" but I don't really believe that adjective exists cutting into pitcher's arms.    His range of outcomes at this moment feels like it could be anything between Grayson Rodriguez's equal and rival to "broken".

Funny how Brandon Lowe's rehab timeline accelerated once Hunter Greene broke Wander Franco's wrist.    Fingers crossed we'll benefit from some rust.

The interesting thing about these first three with the offday leading in and the All-Star break after is it is the most perfect dress rehearsal for the new Round1 of playoffs calendar I could imagine in the regular season.    I am hoping for aggressive bullpen attack.     The Tate-Bautista-Lopez section of the 27-inning pie chart should inflate if the games are at all close.   Keegan Akin should be on early alert for any SP shaky FIRST time through the order.     And we'll see in 72 hours but darned if I wouldn't be taking a think about using DL Hall Sunday in some kind of role.     Spenser Watkins should be enjoying the Tampa hotel pool with Austin Hays and the boys today, but I'll be a little sad if he's on the roster tomorrow night.