I will be glad when the first pick is over

I’m interested to finally have a name for our top pick, but I don’t have much of an opinion who it should be. I’m not confident Elias can build a championship roster, but I have total confidence that he’s better prepared than me to make this decision. I wouldn’t mind acquiring another pick sometime today. And I hope after the first round we heavily favor pitchers. 

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

None of the first ten high school picks last season played at a level higher than the complex league.

I admit pre-pick I'll be a little restless if that's what happens with Druw Jones if he becomes the pick...he's supposed to be a curve-buster.    He's about 0.7 years older than "young High Schoolers" Gunnar Henderson and Darell Hernaiz were on their draft days.

Probably fair chance it is nevertheless what would happen as I feel the minor league games themselves are a dwindling part of overall player development.     The risk of trying him at Delmarva a few weeks in September I'd guess has more upside than downside for his eventual placement in offseason lists.    August Sarasota intake data surely would bear upon it.

Lets face it, the odds are we are going to make the wrong choice.

I mean, these guys are all rated relatively close to each other by the so called experts.   We are going to pick one of the five, and there's an 80% chance that we won't pick the one who winds up with the highest career WAR.

We're going to get a good player with 1-1, but chances are good he won't be the best in the draft when all is said and done and the history books are written.   It is what it is.

10 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Lets face it, the odds are we are going to make the wrong choice.

I mean, these guys are all rated relatively close to each other by the so called experts.   We are going to pick one of the five, and there's an 80% chance that we won't pick the one who winds up with the highest career WAR.

We're going to get a good player with 1-1, but chances are good he won't be the best in the draft when all is said and done and the history books are written.   It is what it is.

You just made a case for the best underslot of the 5.

On 7/16/2022 at 7:41 AM, Sports Guy said:

The later in the season draft sucks.  Definitely be glad when it’s over.

Someone asked me why the draft happened in the middle of the season. The only reason I could think of iw that HS and College seasons are over at this point. 

4 hours ago, SpOkane said:

I can't wait for the 1st pick to be over as well as I have this dreadful scenario playing on a loop in my brain.

The commish announces, "The Baltimore Orioles are on the clock."

As Harold Reynolds begins to say something Harold Reynoldsy, Greg Amsinger interrupts, "Jim Callis has some news."

Callis says, "My sources tell me that the Orioles will select Druw Jones with the first pick."  

Amsinger says, " Thanks, Jim. Well see if you are right in just a few moments because Orioles Rep Rick Dempsey just got off the phone and is walking to the podium. Harold, this could be a franchise altering pick, adding Druw to Adley, Gunnar, Grayson, D.L., Colton, and Heston."

"It's the right pick," says Reynolds, "but I would have loved to see my man, Termarr, here."

Dempsey reaches the stage and adjusts the mic. "Hi, I am Rick Dempsey. I was the catcher and the World Series MVP for the 1983 Baltimore Orioles and I believe catching wins championships.  In 2019 we did the right thing and drafted at 1:1 a championship catcher in Adley Rutschman.  I say you can never too many championship catchers on one team, so with the first pick of the 2022 MLB Draft, the Baltimore Orioles select the catcher from the 2022 NCAA champions, the University of Mississippi, Hayden Dunhurst."

The room goes quiet. The camera switches to the Orioles draft room that is in utter shock, except for Elias, who lies motionless on the floor.

Dempsey then shouts, "You should have hired me to manage, Mike. You should have hired me!!! By the way, my CD, Home Run Holiday, is streaming on Amazon."

This is a classic all time post

3 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Someone asked me why the draft happened in the middle of the season. The only reason I could think of iw that HS and College seasons are over at this point. 

It was a fun time back when teams would draft a college pitcher and then have him get abused in the CWS.

It wasn't that fun a time.

• Haha 1

Just now, Just Regular said:

Callis at 617 on the pre-draft show just said Teams are pumping his phone for info, but gave the report no one knows yet what the Orioles are going to do.

Elias probably having some million-dollar phone calls this hour.

This is based purely on uninformed instinct, but the longer we go without a solid leak, the more I think it will be Jones. 

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

Callis at 617 on the pre-draft show just said Teams are pumping his phone for info, but gave the report no one knows yet what the Orioles are going to do.

Elias probably having some million-dollar phone calls this hour.

Somehow I sense that after they make the pick, and Elias sits for his first interview, no matter what he is going to say "<player chosen> is the guy we wanted all along"

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It was a fun time back when teams would draft a college pitcher and then have him get abused in the CWS.

It wasn't that fun a time.

I remember Ben McDonald getting thrown right into the 1989 playoff chase. I though his arm was going to dissolve. 

I wonder what the reactions of Nats fans would have been: 

For the 1st pick in the 2009 Draft, the Nationals select Mike Trout...

Nats fans: What?!! How can they not take Strasburg?! Instead they take this no name with the last name of a fish!? Screw this franchise!

(To be fair Strasburg stands as an excellent pick historically, but it's fun to imagine what their reactions would be)