Soto & Ohtani Might Be Available, interested?

NelsonCruuuuuz

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Soto turned down 15/440M?

He's not signing anything less than that.  Pass.

Very possible he doesn’t want a 15 year deal.  He may want a high AAV deal for less years.  Thing about it, if he signed a deal for 6 years, he’s a FA before 30.  If he gets 250ishM up until that contract, he could be in line for another 300-400M after the age of 30.  That’s more money and more freedom to leave the organization if he wants.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Very possible he doesn’t want a 15 year deal.  He may want a high AAV deal for less years.  Thing about it, if he signed a deal for 6 years, he’s a FA before 30.  If he gets 250ishM up until that contract, he could be in line for another 300-400M after the age of 30.  That’s more money and more freedom to leave the organization if he wants.

Agents and players don't leave 200M on the table. They want their 440M with opt outs.  The best of both worlds. 

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Agents and players don't leave 200M on the table. They want their 440M with opt outs.  The best of both worlds. 

Maybe..but there is a prevailing thought that the Mahomes contract isn’t as good as what Prescott got, for example.  That you have take away your freedom and future larger earnings as the games revenue grows.

Guys are doing a lot more betting on themselves than we have seen in the past.

6 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Soto is one of the best hitters of all time and is 23 years old.  If you have the opportunity to get him in a trade then you do it.  The Miguel Cabrera trade worked out pretty well for Detroit. 

If you can’t sign him you don’t trade what it would take to get him

8 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Soto is one of the best hitters of all time and is 23 years old.  If you have the opportunity to get him in a trade then you do it.  The Miguel Cabrera trade worked out pretty well for Detroit. 

One of the best hitters of all time?

I'd take either of those guys, but only under a perfect storm of circumstances mentioned by others in this thread (we didn't have to give up a damaging level of talent in a trade, one of them comes here in a non-bank breaking pay factor, et cetera) that has a probable < 1% of happening.

Don't see a lot of people talking about the all eggs in one player issue with elite guys like this either... if you have one elite player (say a dude like Soto giving you 6.5 to 7.5 WAR a season) and he gets hurt for any significant period of time, you stand to lose out on more value than if you were getting similar total production from two pretty good 3-4 WAR players and one of those dudes got hurt for the same amount of time. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, tntoriole said:

These mega contracts never work… never ever ever .  Hard pass. 

The mega contracts signed by players under 28 can turn out ok. A-Rod's first contract, Kershaw, Machado's seems fine, Arenado's seems fine, I don't think the Phillies regret Harper's or the Angels regret Trout's.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Oriole4Life said:

Soto (and Tatis) get on page 1 of career wRC.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2022&month=0&season1=1871&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=1871-01-01&enddate=2022-12-31&sort=18,d

He feels young-ish to me to have 2500 PA in the bank.    October destroyer of Josh Hader, Clayton Kershaw and Gerrit Cole, dragger of the nearly failed Strasburg-Harper-Scherzer Nationals to a dogpile.    Fangraphs Offense only measurement, they have him 5 runs behind Cal Ripken in career Batting value.

Is he bored now?   Sure...the Lerners are taking their profits and not really giving him an environment befitting his talents.   They did buy him the Nelson Cruz teammate experience, but it might be a little short.

If he's out (and I'd guess Nationals Trea Turner FA reacquisition strategy), Patrick Corbin becomes another famous name like Snell and Bumgarner where the only real obstacle to acquisition is your GM and their GM agreeing on the correct used car price point.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

The mega contracts signed by players under 28 can turn out ok. A-Rod's first contract, Kershaw, Machado's seems fine, Arenado's seems fine, I don't think the Phillies regret Harper's or the Angels regret Trout's.

I wanted to offer Machado the exact deal that he got from the Padres before we traded him. I thought he would still be a key after the rebuild. He has not really netted us anything that has contributed greatly to the rebuild in the trade, we can afford his contract on this team and can you imagine him on this team now? We would be holding one of the wildcard spots right now.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Oriole4Life said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2022&month=0&season1=1871&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=1871-01-01&enddate=2022-12-31&sort=18,d

19th all time in wRC+ tied ahead of Willie Mays, Frank Robinson and Hank Aaron. So yeah. 

10 minutes ago, Bahama O&#x27;s Fan said:

I wanted to offer Machado the exact deal that he got from the Padres before we traded him. I thought he would still be a key after the rebuild. He has not really netted us anything that has contributed greatly to the rebuild in the trade, we can afford his contract on this team and can you imagine him on this team now? We would be holding one of the wildcard spots right now.

Tough to justify carrying a $30M player through a rebuild and he probably would have coat us the #1 draft pick this year, but it sure would be nice going forward.