Soto & Ohtani Might Be Available, interested?

NelsonCruuuuuz

1 hour ago, MCO'sFan said:

I don't like the Nats but I can't say that I blame them for not chartering a plane for one guy. Especially when they already pay that guy $17 million for one year.  

Yeah, I think it was funny that Soto was in shock that the Nats announced plans to trade him.  I guess the Nats should just ask him how much money he wants and just let him write up his own contract.  I wish the O's had done the same thing w/ Manny. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I just don't think anyone is going to peg him as a player with an established value of 10 wins a year.  Maybe I'm wrong, but even discounting 25% for risk and decline you're looking at $60M or more a year.  Is someone really going to sign him to a 8/500 deal?  Would anyone besides the Dodgers and Yanks even toy with that amount?

Maybe I'm underestimating the tolerance for risk among GMs who are nearly certain that they'll be in some other job before the contract is over, and owners who see the team as a vanity project.

If he's signing for less than the current top pitcher contracts, (7-9 years for ~350 million) he is a steal IMO and we should be looking to make that deal even if we have to give up value in trade.  We haven't even put a number on the value that he provides via roster flexibility as a two-way player, but I believe that it is significant at least during the regular season.  

4 minutes ago, Hallas said:

If he's signing for less than the current top pitcher contracts, (7-9 years for ~350 million) he is a steal IMO and we should be looking to make that deal even if we have to give up value in trade.  We haven't even put a number on the value that he provides via roster flexibility as a two-way player, but I believe that it is significant at least during the regular season.  

Potential trades for Soto that have been proposed include 5 prospects, including 3 of the top 5 of top farms like the Dodgers.  Plus the receiving team might be expected to take on Corbin's salary.  Does a deal of Gunnar, DL Hall, and Westburg, plus 2 lower rated  prospects for Soto and Corbin sound like a good deal?  Plus the O's would have to sign Soto long term for whatever he wanted. 

8 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Potential trades for Soto that have been proposed include 5 prospects, including 3 of the top 5 of top farms like the Dodgers.  Plus the receiving team might be expected to take on Corbin's salary.  Does a deal of Gunnar, DL Hall, and Westburg, plus 2 lower rated  prospects for Soto and Corbin sound like a good deal?  Plus the O's would have to sign Soto long term for whatever he wanted. 

I was talking about OhtanI.  I'm less inclined to trade for and sign Soto, because LF is an easier position to fill, we have outfield prospects in the farm, and he's probably signing a bigger deal than Ohtani is.  We don't have much pitching and if we wanted to be competitive, we'd have to fill it from somewhere.  If we were trading for Ohtani and it took 3 out of Westburg, Mayo, Cowser, Hall, and Stowers, then I'd probably do it.  I'm not giving them Henderson and 2 of the others, but maybe Henderson +1 and some filler.

5 hours ago, MCO'sFan said:

I don't like the Nats but I can't say that I blame them for not chartering a plane for one guy. Especially when they already pay that guy $17 million for one year.  

He's going there for work and representing the franchise for both pre-game festivities and the game itself.  It's not my money, obviously, but I think 60 grand for a chartered flight to make sure he arrives at all events well rested and on time, versus making him take commercial and arrive in the middle of the night, is reasonable.   the 1am arrival time probably screws his schedule up a bit more than advertised since he's also going back 3 hours.

7 hours ago, MCO'sFan said:

He is representing his team.  And they should have paid the flight....unless....it was all part of the plan to piss him off so that he would win thereby getting yet another top prospect in return.   Then it would have been dastardly and unprofessional and likely brilliant.

13 minutes ago, foxfield said:

He is representing his team.  And they should have paid the flight....unless....it was all part of the plan to piss him off so that he would win thereby getting yet another top prospect in return.   Then it would have been dastardly and unprofessional and likely brilliant.

I think the Nats are saying they aren't Boras/Soto's sucker any more.  I will be surprised if Soto isn't traded by the deadline.

14 hours ago, Hallas said:

I don't think I'd ever classify $50M a year plus giving up prospects as a steal.  Not when you can build a semi-competitive roster for less than one player's salary.

We've had debates here in the past about whether it was ever smart to give one player 20-30% of the payroll.  Here we'd be talking, at least in the short term, about giving one player 70% of the payroll.  There are all kinds of implications from that.  Clubhouse dynamics where Ohtani makes more in three months than the rest of the players combine for in a year.  Risk, if he goes down for six months that's six or eight wins.  I guess you could probably find examples where this worked but it would be like when David Beckham signed with LA Galaxy when he was still pretty much in his prime.  It would be like Giancarlo Stanton signing with the Long Island Ducks.  Or like if Bryce Harper had gone to high school in some small Iowa town that's never had a minor leaguer.

I'm not saying it couldn't work, it's just unusual and might present issues we don't expect.

14 hours ago, Hallas said:

He's going there for work and representing the franchise for both pre-game festivities and the game itself.  It's not my money, obviously, but I think 60 grand for a chartered flight to make sure he arrives at all events well rested and on time, versus making him take commercial and arrive in the middle of the night, is reasonable.   the 1am arrival time probably screws his schedule up a bit more than advertised since he's also going back 3 hours.

No problem sending him first class. No way I am chartering a flight.