2022 1st Round Pick (#1): Jackson Holliday, - SS - Stillwater HS (OK)

As mentioned, I was out at dinner when the pick was made.  Turned out that in the far corner of the room directly facing me was a TV tuned to the draft.  I was pretty surprised to see Holliday picked.   I’ll be rooting for him to prove the Orioles right.   The journey begins!

I was pleasantly surprised at this pick. I expected either Druw Jones or Termarr Johnson, but I think this was the right pick. If the O's were worried about signing Jones, they're not going to save any money on this pick, which is why I was a bit surprised, but I love that we now have a 5-tool shortstop in our system!

Just now, Sports Guy said:

They will save somewhere between 300-700k under slot.  

Ehh, I don't think 1:1 has ever gotten their full slot value, so when you factor that in, yes they're saving over the official slot value, but relative to what past 1:1s have received it's not much of a discount.

Adley got a record (at the time) bonus at 8.1 million, and that was 300K under slot.

4 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Ehh, I don't think 1:1 has ever gotten their full slot value, so when you factor that in, yes they're saving over the official slot value, but relative to what past 1:1s have received it's not much of a discount.

Adley got a record (at the time) bonus at 8.1 million, and that was 300K under slot.

Tork got full slot.

And it’s still saving money. The idea shouldn’t be to save as much as you can.  It should be to take the best player you can.  You don’t get bonus points for saving the most money.