2022 1st Round Pick (#1): Jackson Holliday, - SS - Stillwater HS (OK)

Even though he looks twelve, I have noticed that Draft Day age Jackson Holliday already >18.5 a little more on the Bobby Witt half of the football field compared to Gunnar/Hernaiz.

Between that and the pedigree, hoping he'll be in conversation for 2025 OD lineup at ~21.4 years of age.    Witt was ~21.8 this year on Opening Day.

We'll have a few years of returns by then to weigh draft pick compensation incentive type things.

If the incumbent lasts this long, can he outplay Jorge Mateo by 44 days before the end of the 2024 season?

It's nice to be able to look at Matt Holliday and see that Jackson is likely to add an inch or two in height and probably 20-30 pounds in weight.  Very projectable build unlike someone like Termarr Johnson who appears fully developed. 

Good chance he's looking more like Gunnar Henderson than Joey Ortiz in a few years.  

54 minutes ago, Stotle said:

I think he hits for more power than folks are currently giving credit for. Tooled-up version of Gunnar (who I really liked). I think he hits and holds down shortstop for as long as Baltimore is willing to keep him. Termarr is the best hit tool in the class but Holliday has already made a big jump in improving efficiency of his swing over last year (in large part, I think, because he's maturing physically). Power is going to come; he's going to hit; he's going to pick it at short; he's going to be fun on the bases. Thumbs up.

Always great to have a Stotle drive-by!

• Upvote 4

Just now, Frobby said:

Always great to have a Stotle drive-by!

The question I have is how much power are people giving him credit for and how much should we hope for?    I assumed he was projected for 20+ home run power.   Is he a 30+ guy?

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

It's nice to be able to look at Matt Holliday and see that Jackson is likely to add an inch or two in height and probably 20-30 pounds in weight. 

Really?   I'm 6'2" and none of my kids are taller than 5'10".    I don't think there's any certaintly that Jackson's physique will resemble his dad's.   Certainly at 18 he could grow a bit more.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Really?   I'm 6'2" and none of my kids are taller than 5'10".    I don't think there's any certaintly that Jackson's physique will resemble his dad's.   Certainly at 18 he could grow a bit more.

No truth to the rumor that his Mother is 6'5" I guess?

1 hour ago, Stotle said:

I think he hits for more power than folks are currently giving credit for. Tooled-up version of Gunnar (who I really liked). I think he hits and holds down shortstop for as long as Baltimore is willing to keep him. Termarr is the best hit tool in the class but Holliday has already made a big jump in improving efficiency of his swing over last year (in large part, I think, because he's maturing physically). Power is going to come; he's going to hit; he's going to pick it at short; he's going to be fun on the bases. Thumbs up.

Thanks for popping in. I like reading what you have to say about the O's picks.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The question I have is how much power are people giving him credit for and how much should we hope for?    I assumed he was projected for 20+ home run power.   Is he a 30+ guy?

Fair question! Public reports I scanned this morning I've seen are sort of hedging on the power. I think Law went on record with 15-20 HR pop. I think there's a good chance he's a neutral 25+ HR guy with lots of doubles. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Matt Holliday is 6’4, 235 so me projecting another inch or two in growth and 30 pounds of muscle for Jackson isn’t too ambitious. It’s more like splitting the difference. 

Most 18 year old athletes put on a good amount of weight regardless of their genetics. I’m 5’8 and put on 25-30 pounds of muscle from the time I was 18 to 23….without the benefit of a professionally managed regimen. Jackson could certainly put a lot more weight than that on. Of course, it’s not an exact science. 

9 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Matt Holliday is 6’4, 235 so me projecting another inch or two in growth and 30 pounds of muscle for Jackson isn’t too ambitious. It’s more like splitting the difference. 

Most 18 year old athletes put on a good amount of weight regardless of their genetics. I’m 5’8 and put on 25-30 pounds of muscle from the time I was 18 to 23….without the benefit of a professionally managed regimen. Jackson could certainly put a lot more weight than that on. Of course, it’s not an exact science. 

I weighed 160 pounds when I graduated high school and put on 25 pounds of…something…during my first year of college.   

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Will be interesting to see whether Holliday tops Jones. My guess is that he gets $8.2M to barely clear him.

Also, no surprise that Jones wasn't, in fact, only willing to sign for $10M as was postulated by a a couple people.

Of course.  I don’t get why people fall for this stuff every year.