2022 2nd Round Pick (#42): Max Wagner - 3B - (Jr) Clemson University

13 hours ago, Flash- bd said:

Looks to me like we're going with players with real high potential but serious bust potential in these last two picks. Like it, now that we have rebuilt the system to a good extent we can afford to take these types of risks. 

I imagine that Sigs model accounts for the bust vs. success rates of guys like this and whether its a worthwhile chance.  The Orioles aren't looking for absolutes, they are just playing the percentages.  They know that there will be times where it may look like they have either underperformed or outperformed the percentages, but if the sample size gets big enough it will all even out.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Max Wagner doesn't have an extensive track record in college, but he did homer in sixteen of his final twenty-two regular season contests

That's a 120 homer pace.  That's pretty good!

I look forward to him becoming the new ML HR king by the end of the decade. 

• Haha 1

Maybe this guy had a flash in the pan season, but he's also from a cold weather high school. If he's really just a late bloomer, and this is the hitter he is...especially if he can play 2b...this could be a massive steal

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 7/18/2022 at 12:34 PM, Just Regular said:

Ciolek volunteered in his zoom with the gaggle last night in response to a Wagner question that one of the things the Club liked as a marker was a Player flashing the skill of recovering from a bad run of performance.

Interesting considering the early season struggles and current pace.