2022 2nd Round Pick Comp B (#67): Jud Fabian - OF - (Jr) Florida University

2022 2nd Round Pick Comp B (#67): Jud Fabian - OF - (Jr) Florida University

https://www.mlb.com/video/2022-draft-jud-fabian?t=mlb-draft

Stats

Initial Take: When Elias likes a guy, he likes a guy. After the Red sox beat him to the punch last year, but failed to signed him, the Orioles got their guy in the Compensation portion after the 2nd round. Known as an elite defender in center field with some pop, Fabian is a scouts favorite despite his less then intriguing college stats. Fabian slashed .239/.414/.598/1.013 with 24 bombs, 62 BBs and 69 Ks in 310 PAs. He either homered, walked or struck out in 50% of his PAs. The low batting average obviously did not scare off the Orioles even though he hits .199 in conference as well. With several pitchers still on the board, Fabian seems like a strange pick for most organization, but not Elias and the Orioles who've neve seen a college outfielder they didn't like.

• Upvote 3

Not sure what to say here.  Overrated bat.  Another OF.  Pitching is a need and we seem to be allergic.  Guess our first pitcher chosen will be in round 17 or so.  Given how many OF we seem to draft, if I am an OF at Aberdeen or below I might be getting nervous about my career choices!

Baseball America 

Fabian enrolled early at Florida and was draft-eligible in 2021 as one of the younger college players in the class. He ranked as the No. 27 prospect on the 2021 BA 500 and the Red Sox drafted him in the second round, but the two sides failed to come to terms and Fabian went back to Gainesville for his third college season. A 6-foot-2, 195-pound center fielder, Fabian is a standout athlete who has impressive power, speed and defensive tools. The biggest question in his profile is his pure hitting ability. Fabian has a keen eye at the plate and rarely expands the zone, and after walking 14.9% of the time in 2021 has increased that mark to 20% in 2022. He’s managed that walk rate while also hitting for a career-best 24 home runs. While most of that power has come to the pull side, scouts believe Fabian has real plus raw power. Despite that power and on-base ability, Fabian has never hit above .300 with Florida and this spring against conference competition in 30 games he hit .193 with 37 strikeouts and 33 walks. Defensively, Fabian is one of the better center fielders in the class, with solid speed, athleticism and instincts to stick at the position and be an impact defender. Given his tool set and up-the-middle profile, there’s plenty of upside—especially for a team who believes they can help him make more contact—but his swing-and-miss tendencies create plenty of risk as well.

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

John Rhodes has been cloned.    I believe Fabian enrolled early or some such, so even as senior he is about 1.5 months younger than Rhodes.

Drawing deeper the pattern of we can teach this guy with tools and some eye to hit.

Yeah, there are some comps there. Low batting average guy who walks, strikeouts and hits some homers. Supposedly a good defensive outfielder. 

Eh.. I'm not sure there are ton of major league outfielders who hit .239 and struck out over 25% of his PAs in the major leagues. 

This guy reminds me of Zach Watson a bit. 

I mean, if the Os have an ultra elite outfield and guys knocking the door down in the minors, you could trade from the surplus or from the MLB level and acquire nice pieces. Doesn’t bother me to not pick pitchers early even if it is a need. Any HS kids coming off TJ that should of went first round that they could overslot on tomorrow?