2022 2nd Round Pick Comp B (#67): Jud Fabian - OF - (Jr) Florida University

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

So there seems to be some confusion between the draft tracker and Jim Callis on his signing bonus. Not sure what the real answer is but Callis is usually not wrong. Callis has him at $1,026,800 which is full slot.

The Baltimore Sun guys had it as a full slot deal as well. I'm leaning towards the tracker being confused

• 2 weeks later...

I just spoke to someone in the know about Fabian and the Orioles. He confirmed the rumors about an agreement for $3 million. He said that the Red Sox did not communicate with him before drafting him. Said they made a cold offer of $1.8 million and never negotiated, basically said “here it is, take it or leave it.” So, he left it. Really an odd story for that high of a pick. Anyway, Jud wanted to come to Baltimore because of the fit and philosophy.  Very excited to be here. 

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

I just spoke to someone in the know about Fabian and the Orioles. He confirmed the rumors about an agreement for $3 million. He said that the Red Sox did not communicate with him before drafting him. Said they made a cold offer of $1.8 million and never negotiated, basically said “here it is, take it or leave it.” So, he left it. Really an odd story for that high of a pick. Anyway, Jud wanted to come to Baltimore because of the fit and philosophy.  Very excited to be here. 

Good to see the O's get their guy for $2 million cheaper. 

7 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

Good to hear he’s excited to be here and that he likes the fit.  I have to assume it’s about the hitting approach.  Do you happen to know?

3 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Good to hear he’s excited to be here and that he likes the fit.  I have to assume it’s about the hitting approach.  Do you happen to know?

The person I spoke with did not really specify. There were things said that make me think that.  I believe that to be correct, based on other things I have been told. We talked about a lot of other things unrelated to the signing. 

24 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

The person I spoke with did not really specify. There were things said that make me think that.  I believe that to be correct, based on other things I have been told. We talked about a lot of other things unrelated to the signing. 

Thanks.  

On 8/7/2022 at 9:35 AM, Jammer7 said:

Seems bizarre in this day and age to pick a guy in the 2nd round, and to have never contacted him prior to the draft. The Orioles had zeroed in on Fabian and apparently had extensive negotiations wrt a signing bonus. If Boston valued him so highly as to make him the 40th player chosen on day one you’d think they would have at least met him if only to shake hands. 

What’s more common — teams making little to no effort to communicate with prospective players, or those who contact their targeted high draft picks to at least get the lay of the land? 

1 minute ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Seems bizarre in this day and age to pick a guy in the 2nd round, and to have never contacted him prior to the draft. The Orioles had zeroed in on Fabian and apparently had extensive negotiations wrt a signing bonus. If Boston valued him so highly as to make him the 40th player chosen on day one you’d think they would have at least met him if only to shake hands. 

What’s more common — teams making little to no effort to communicate with prospective players, or those who contact their targeted high draft picks to at least get the lay of the land? 

Only way it makes sense to me is if he was at the top of their board and they didn't think there was any chance he would still be there when they picked.

Seems like an odd way to do business that's for sure.

6 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

It is strange to me, but I’ve never been in a draft room. From what I have heard in the past, picks that high are usually in contact with teams. Ballpark numbers are tossed about. But, Duquette drafted Grenier in Comp A without speaking with him. IDK

2 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

It is strange to me, but I’ve never been in a draft room. From what I have heard in the past, picks that high are usually in contact with teams. Ballpark numbers are tossed about. But, Duquette drafted Grenier in Comp A without speaking with him. IDK

Dan probably meant to pick Grenier in the third round so he figured he had a whole day to contact him.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, baltfan said:

Fabian reportedly struggles with velocity at the top of the zone.  I found this interesting from Meoli today re: Stowers, a player that I have seen Fabian comped with as a hitter.

Stowers’ swinging strike rate this year is 14.6%, according to FanGraphs, down slightly from his 15.9% last season, but his overall strikeout rate has dropped from 32.3% to 24.2%. Gibbons said Stowers embraces the challenging mixed batting practice the Orioles’ prospects get every day, and spent the winter working on a swing change that he’s carried through this season and seen benefits from.

“One specific thing he’s worked on is some lead-arm work, to try to flatten out that swing at the top of the zone, because that’s where the whiff was a lot — it was velocity at the top of the zone,” Gibbons said. “He’s worked on a lot of lead-arm work to really flatten out his swing at the top, and really just him putting in the work and effort every single day.”

https://jonmeoli.substack.com/p/what-are-the-orioles-top-hitting?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

Perhaps the Orioles were so into Fabian because they think they can fix hitters with this profile.  

This was also something that Henderson worked on this offseason and talked about as a weakness for him in 2021.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...