2022 3rd Round Pick (#81): Nolan McLean- P - (Jr) Oklahoma State University

1 minute ago, O-The-Memories said:

I really don't understand our draft strategy. None of these guys are close to being MLB ready. Either they have huge swing problems, they are 18 (Holliday) or now we get a guy who will need development even though he's been in college four years. A fastball alone sounds like a reliever. 

I'm trying to be optimistic but it's hard. 

Seems like Elias really likes is development program now. He's taking toolsy guys that needs development.

1 minute ago, O-The-Memories said:

I really don't understand our draft strategy. None of these guys are close to being MLB ready. Either they have huge swing problems, they are 18 (Holliday) or now we get a guy who will need development even though he's been in college four years. A fastball alone sounds like a reliever. 

Have you seen Bowie and Norfolk's roster? The strength of this farm system is almost exclusively in the upper minors. 

5 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

I can't believe I called this last night!  I simply looked for a 4 year sophomore position player as that seemed to be a pattern after the past year or two.  

I repped you but maybe not.  They seem to have drafted him as pitcher!   lol

1 minute ago, forphase1 said:

Yeah, I saw that.  Wonder if they legitimately think he's a pitcher or what they are going to do with him.  

The team that drafts him usually say what position to list him at so I think that's a dead give away.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Not taking Ben Joyce for this guy is a head scratcher but whatever.  Need to see the rest of the draft for an overall feeling.  

Angels can't keep all of their pitching.  We can trade for Joyce or someone better later.  :) 

Just now, RZNJ said:

The team that drafts him usually say what position to list him at so I think that's a dead give away.

Probably.  But he didn't pitch much at all, which is really curious.  Looking at his stats and bio, sure seems more like a bat than an arm.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Not taking Ben Joyce for this guy is a head scratcher but whatever.  Need to see the rest of the draft for an overall feeling.  

Joyce went to the Angels so that's practically the O's taking him anyways.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Have you seen Bowie and Norfolk's roster? The strength of this farm system is almost exclusively in the upper minors. 

Yes, I think we still need starting pitching help badly. DL Hall has kind of been disappointing to me, and GRod needs to recover from an injury. Those are the only two that I think are near locks to be contributors on a good MLB team. Bradish has been horrible although there's still time. Other than that I'm not sure we have a lot of starting pitching coming up through the ranks. 

There were guys who don't need anywhere near the level of development that were available, and we have enough relievers already. 

11 minutes ago, O-The-Memories said:

Edit: I was wrong, he's a sophomore, which makes this pick a little better I guess. I still think there were better pitchers available for sure. 

Why do we need MLB ready? We are set for the next couple years at just about every position aside from SP. I think they are just accumulating assets to eventually trade for pitching. I think it's a good sign that Elias appears to be thinking long term.