2022 17th Round Pick (#497): Carter Young - SS - (JR) Vanderbilt (TN)

I think there’s something to be salvaged here, but he was truly bad offensively this year and his body language showed he was mentally finished at Vandy. Really good defensive SS who at times let his poor offense affect him in the field. Ended up being replaced by a true freshman towards the end of the year, and it’ll be interesting to see if he can even win a spot at LSU given their crowded infield next year. A change of scenery, whether it’s with the Os or LSU should do him a world of good though. 

On 7/19/2022 at 5:44 PM, EdwinRip said:

This is an incredible fall for 1 year. On one hand it seems like a great chance to buy “low.” On the other, can his issues really be attributed to the injury?

Either way, Elias seems to have drafted more than our draft pool will allow, so he’s got to be doing his best to negotiate deals and sell these guys on our development programs.

If I’m this guy, that’s intriguing, but I’m not sure a good org is enough to get him off of a multi-million $ bonus dream.

12 hours ago, Stotle said:

He transferred to LSU (along with everyone else in college baseball this summer lol) so I imagine he's not signing for less than seven figures. He was a legit top 10 candidate entering season. Keep in mind he dislocated his shoulder last may and had lingering issues all the way through fall practice. Hit 16 home runs last year as a sophomore and as a frosh was .328/.373/.377 in the shortened COVID season. I'd love to ink him if possible -- I just imagine he's pretty locked into a season with a very very stacked LSU squad that will get tons of attention (top 2023 college position player right now is probably LSU OF Dylan Crews -- I sat on him with the Collegiate National Team earlier this month and he is explosive):

If he wants seven figures, I'm surprised Elias drafted him because there's no way he's getting that after the year he had no matter what the issues supposedly were. He'd be a nice get if you get him as a discount, but like you said, you don't transfer to LSU unless you think you are going to play a lot and up your value. 

• Like 1

If nothing else, he's leverage talking with Beavers-Wagner-Fabian.

Certainly here is where the main thing I'm anchoring on how good they are entering their pro careers is if Mike Elias deems them worthy of $1mm, $1.75mm or $2.5mm.    That will tell me waaaay more than their draft slot.

Here I imagine Elias will work the contrast of Orioles coaching better than SEC coaching as best he can.

This year's Signing Deadline is Monday August 1, don't know if there is a precise hour like the 6pm Eastern Trading Deadline on Tuesday August 2 the following day.    If it is midnight, that gives GM's just 18 hours of undiluted focus after any last minute games of chicken with high-profile risks.

I'd guess if we signed Young not Fabian it'd be a little bit popular around here.     We wouldn't pay everyone, would we?   

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

If nothing else, he's leverage talking with Beavers-Wagner-Fabian.

Certainly here is where the main thing I'm anchoring on how good they are entering their pro careers is if Mike Elias deems them worthy of $1mm, $1.75mm or $2.5mm.    That will tell me waaaay more than their draft slot.

Here I imagine Elias will work the contrast of Orioles coaching better than SEC coaching as best he can.

This year's Signing Deadline is Monday August 1, don't know if there is a precise hour like the 6pm Eastern Trading Deadline on Tuesday August 2 the following day.    If it is midnight, that gives GM's just 18 hours of undiluted focus after any last minute games of chicken with high-profile risks.

I'd guess if we signed Young not Fabian it'd be a little bit popular around here.     We wouldn't pay everyone, would we?   

If we don’t sign Fabian, we lose his slot as part of our pool. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If he wants seven figures, I'm surprised Elias drafted him because there's no way he's getting that after the year he had no matter what the issues supposedly were. He'd be a nice get if you get him as a discount, but like you said, you don't transfer to LSU unless you think you are going to play a lot and up your value. 

If what is left for the draft isn't very attractive, why not take a shot that he is bluffing?  Seems worth it.  I could also see a scenario where he makes the same offer to this kid and the Miami kid and tells them the first to take it gets the offer.  

I cannot imagine that the Orioles have $1 million to give him. They will likely have a few hundred thousand to throw at him. They will sit down with him and show him their development plan for him. They will tell him how they will help him make the most of his tools, and why he should begin playing professional baseball right now instead of going to LSU and playing another season of college. I would not bet against Mike Elias on this. I am not saying it is going to get done, but I spoke to someone in the industry who said that Mike Elias is very persuasive  in these kinds of situation. 

• Upvote 1