2022 17th Round Pick (#497): Carter Young - SS - (JR) Vanderbilt (TN)

59 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I cannot imagine that the Orioles have $1 million to give him. They will likely have a few hundred thousand to throw at him. They will sit down with him and show him their development plan for him. They will tell him how they will help him make the most of his tools, and why he should begin playing professional baseball right now instead of going to LSU and playing another season of college. I would not that against Mike Elias on this. I am not saying it is going to get done, but I spoke to someone in the industry who said that Mike Elias is very persuasive  in these kinds of situation. 

It'll be a fun follow the rest of the month.    I don't care how bad the Age-21 season was; if thru Age-20 you established yourself as a Brooks Lee-level polished NCAA infielder, and Elias can sell you on "Orioles school" at that rate, it'd be crazy.

They aren't allowed to give Major League contracts anymore, are they?

2 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

It'll be a fun follow the rest of the month.    I don't care how bad the Age-21 season was; if thru Age-20 you established yourself as a Brooks Lee-level polished NCAA infielder, and Elias can sell you on "Orioles school" at that rate, it'd be crazy.

Absolutely. We’ll see what happens. The rehab of his shoulder injury likely was an issue for him. Sell him on getting healthy and mashing in Delmarva in 2023.

11 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

No more Major League contracts, I'm pretty sure Bundy was the last one, and not just for the Orioles, for all MLB draftees. 

7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

If he wants seven figures, I'm surprised Elias drafted him because there's no way he's getting that after the year he had no matter what the issues supposedly were. He'd be a nice get if you get him as a discount, but like you said, you don't transfer to LSU unless you think you are going to play a lot and up your value. 

I think they took a couple of shots at the end, with maybe the hope that maybe in the end, when presented with the opportunity to play pro ball, they’d take a lower number. 

They seemed less confident this year that they will sign everyone 

3 hours ago, seak05 said:

I think they took a couple of shots at the end, with maybe the hope that maybe in the end, when presented with the opportunity to play pro ball, they’d take a lower number. 

They seemed less confident this year that they will sign everyone 

Agreed on all parts. It does he took shots in just incase, knowing he can get a UDFA with about the same talent as a normal 17th rounder.

1 minute ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Being a 22 year old senior next year, don’t see how he will get a better deal - the O’s at minimum will help him be in a better position to be MLB ready with a top notch development staff. 

/shrug

Maybe he doesn't want to pursue baseball professionally?

14 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Being a 22 year old senior next year, don’t see how he will get a better deal - the O’s at minimum will help him be in a better position to be MLB ready with a top notch development staff. 

Yeah, not sure what they offered him. I guess he thinks he can get healthy and back to first round form with the plan he has in place. Too bad, good luck to him, though. 

1 hour ago, Chaka Garcia said:

He'll still have the covid year, so he's actually got two more years of eligibility left. My guess is he thinks that he can work his way back into the first round...and even if he has to take a below slot first round deal..no chance the Orioles were offering him even close to that. Top level athletes tend to be confident, it doesn't surprise me that he's choosing to bet that he's better then he showed this year. 

53 minutes ago, seak05 said:

He'll still have the covid year, so he's actually got two more years of eligibility left. My guess is he thinks that he can work his way back into the first round...and even if he has to take a below slot first round deal..no chance the Orioles were offering him even close to that. Top level athletes tend to be confident, it doesn't surprise me that he's choosing to bet that he's better then he showed this year. 

Yes and the thought of spending a year at LSU with a stacked roster likely to go to the College World Series isn't a bad idea for a college aged kid. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah, no doubt LSU is an attractive option. Maybe LSU has a plan to help him advance his swing decisions and approach issues. As well as get him healthy. It’s ballsy to do this. Jud Fabian lost a lot of money, but I’m starting to think he really wants to be an Oriole. Maybe Young doesn’t. Shrugs…

10 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Maybe this means someone else has taken the money (or at least some of it)

If Carter thinks 1 year of NCAA success & bigger signing bonus > jump starting your career and getting to a $30M+ on a your last contract year works in his favor then I tend to think he’s not confident in his pro ball future. Move on