2022 17th Round Pick (#497): Carter Young - SS - (JR) Vanderbilt (TN)

10 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

I was glad they drafted Young and was hoping we would overslot him.  More on reputation of being a potential 1st rounder heading into the season vs. 2022 results.  I wonder how the game log/SSS toward the end of his year played out (i.e. did he get healthy and produce)?

I could have sworn I read/heard that Vanderbilt's hitting philosophy is more about hitting the other way/small-ball type.  But I can't seem to find it.  Am I chasing ghosts?  

Drafting Young was plan B so we didn't toss wasted money around if/when plan A hit a snag.  Young was a hedge that needed to be exercised.  Regarding the contract size:  Meh.  Use it or lose it in the draft.  (Not sure if it's related or not, but if so and this means we can't sign McClean but also getting a 3rd round comp next year, then that's not such a bad outcome either.  I'll second what @Just Regularmentioned about the 2023 COVID class being a bit deeper with former HS talent who went to college after 2020 graduations.)

On the whole, I'm pretty excited they were able to sign Young.  Bringing in his ceiling this late in the draft is a win. 

Moving into the org:  We've done a great job pairing talented MIFers together the last few years.  I'm hoping the synergies and trend is contagious with this draft class too! 

<<Raises a toast>> Here's to Holliday and Young being Gunnar and Westburg 2.0!

3.0.... you forgot about Ortiz and Norby :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Carter Young batting leadoff and playing SS with Jackson Holliday batting 2nd and playing SECOND BASE!!!  

Haha.  I suppose they will alternate while Young is down there but this just goes to show, #1 overall or not, you sometimes have to move over.

49 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Carter Young batting leadoff and playing SS with Jackson Holliday batting 2nd and playing SECOND BASE!!!  

Haha.  I suppose they will alternate while Young is down there but this just goes to show, #1 overall or not, you sometimes have to move over.

Keep flexin'!  The success and speed of Gunnar/Westburg helps sell the positional flexibility.

I know some 

1 hour ago, btdart20 said:

Keep flexin'!  The success and speed of Gunnar/Westburg helps sell the positional flexibility.

I know some were against it and wanted players like Henderson to get all of their reps at either SS or 3B but I think in retrospect it seems smart because it does seem to give you so many more options when they are ready to come up.   It also doesn't seem to have slowed anyone down.

• Upvote 1