2022 18th Round Pick (#527): Andrew Walters - P - (JR) Miami (FL)

3 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Odd decision not to mention and thank the Orioles in his statement. Hope it works out for him and he enjoys playing with his brother.

Starting to feel like the old Syd Thrift confederate money days.

I wonder whether the Orioles have any undrafted targets that they may splash some unspent pool money on.

3 hours ago, interloper said:

Starting to feel a little like the scouts misjudged some of these kids re: signability. I feel like that's been a strength in recent years, but it is what it is. This happens sometimes. 

I'm not ready to say either of these things yet. We're talking about 17th and 18th round selections that were overslot guys. They were probably fall back guys in case they couldn't get McLean done. I'm hoping we will see McLean get done soon. If they fail to sign McLean, then we can have concerns that maybe they misread the kid or the kid changed his number. 

Remember, there's not much different from a 17th rounder to a UDFA really.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, baltfan said:

It's not confederate money.  We took flyers on some guys.  The problem is that NIL deals can really help these guys make up what they might have lost.  

Plus it doesn’t suck to have NIL $ AND spend it in Coral Gables while you try and improve your draft position.

• 11 months later...
21 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Goes in 2nd round comp pick this season.  Pretty good decision to go back to college and move up from 18th round. 

Slot value is $1.27 million. We gave Carter Young $1.325 million. I’m assuming we could’ve offered Walters that money. Who knows if we did?