Draft Signings

1 hour ago, Jammer7 said:

We figured McLean, a draft eligible Sophomore, would be a good amount over slot when he was drafted. We are relatively confident the Orioles knew the number it would take to sign him before taking him as the first pick on day 2. The delay in his signing is curious.

Andrew Walters, Alden Mathes, James Hicks and Carter Young remain unsigned as well. We have been told Young might not be signable, with his signing with LSU. Walters might be a back up to McLean, but seems unlikely as well. Are Mathes and Hicks going to be over the $125K guys too? Interesting finish to this class.

Edit: I just read an article in the draft tracker post about Mathes not signing. Too bad. 

I would think the delay is so the others after the 10th pick wouldn’t know how much money is left.  They took McLean with the first pick of Day 2.   They had to know his number before pulling the trigger.  The interesting thing is that while pundits seemed to like the pick, they weren’t blown away by it.  Now Callis is talking about paying him over $2mm.  Strange. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, baltfan said:

I would think the delay is so the others after the 10th pick wouldn’t know how much money is left.  They took McLean with the first pick of Day 2.   They had to know his number before pulling the trigger.  The interesting thing is that while pundits seemed to like the pick, they weren’t blown away by it.  Now Callis is talking about paying him over $2mm.  Strange. 

Could be that they stall as you suggest for the negotiation with Walters, I suppose. I think it may be that McLean either changed his demands or there is something with the physical. It is strange. I really like McLean’s profile. Maybe he wants to play both ways moreso than what Elias and Blood want him to. IDK.