Jorge Lopez traded to Twins for pitching prospects (edit)

interloper

24 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I do you link a news article? I'm unfortunately not the most computer savvy.

Call up the article.  Go to Edit on the top line of the screen.  Copy the URL of the article.    Go to the OH.   Open a post.    and paste it into your post.

Or if you only want part of the article.   Call your article.   Highlight the part you want.  Press edit.  Press copy.   Go to the OH. Open a post.  and paste it into your post.

Edited by wildcard

The reason Adley didn't start on the Major League roster is he sprained his elbow and couldn't play the first month or so of the season. He would have been on the opening day roster if he was not hurt in Spring training.

Edited by cnmilton

5 minutes ago, cnmilton said:

The reason Adley didn't start on the Major League roster is he sprained his elbow and couldn't play the first month or so of the season. He would have been on the opening day roster if he was not hurt in Spring training.

That is speculation.

What we do know is he came off the IL and they promptly sent him to AAA.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

How do you know?   This doesn’t sound like Cano wax an afterthought.

I don’t think this proves anything.  Cano was the only Major Leaguer coming back to us.  The names of the prospects probably weren’t known yet.

42 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

I don’t think this proves anything.  Cano was the only Major Leaguer coming back to us.  The names of the prospects probably weren’t known yet.

I don’t think it proves much either.  But where’s the proof was an afterthought or a throw-in?

• Upvote 1

Afterthought?

As the Orioles’ front office discussed machinations of possible trades with the Twins last summer, Koby Perez, Baltimore’s senior director of international scouting, provided executive vice president and general manager Mike Elias with a reminder.

He had already seen one of the pitchers they were considering in the swap.

In April 2019, months after he had taken over Baltimore’s baseball operations department and launched it into a full-scale rebuild, Elias joined Perez for a trip to the Dominican Republic to watch Cano and another Cuban pitcher, Yosver Zulueta, in a showcase for major league teams. The organization was diving into the international market, and the pair of executives believed Cano had potential as a reliever. He ended up signing with Minnesota for $750,000.

Baltimore’s pursuit of Cano three years later had little to do with Elias’ brief look at him, with the GM referring to it as “just kind of a novelty.” Instead, he credited the Orioles’ pro scouting department.

Snyder said pro scouting analyst Ben MacLean slotted Cano highly on his list of potential trade targets from Minnesota, believing in his ability to generate ground balls and swings-and-misses. Ben Reed, another pro scouting analyst, and senior pro scouting analysts Will Robertson and Kevin Carter also pushed for Cano’s inclusion in any deal with the Twins.

“As the Jorge López trade increasingly felt like a genuine possibility, we kept coming back to permutations of the deal where Cano was a key component,” Snyder said.

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Afterthought?

As the Orioles’ front office discussed machinations of possible trades with the Twins last summer, Koby Perez, Baltimore’s senior director of international scouting, provided executive vice president and general manager Mike Elias with a reminder.

He had already seen one of the pitchers they were considering in the swap.

In April 2019, months after he had taken over Baltimore’s baseball operations department and launched it into a full-scale rebuild, Elias joined Perez for a trip to the Dominican Republic to watch Cano and another Cuban pitcher, Yosver Zulueta, in a showcase for major league teams. The organization was diving into the international market, and the pair of executives believed Cano had potential as a reliever. He ended up signing with Minnesota for $750,000.

Baltimore’s pursuit of Cano three years later had little to do with Elias’ brief look at him, with the GM referring to it as “just kind of a novelty.” Instead, he credited the Orioles’ pro scouting department.

Snyder said pro scouting analyst Ben MacLean slotted Cano highly on his list of potential trade targets from Minnesota, believing in his ability to generate ground balls and swings-and-misses. Ben Reed, another pro scouting analyst, and senior pro scouting analysts Will Robertson and Kevin Carter also pushed for Cano’s inclusion in any deal with the Twins.

“As the Jorge López trade increasingly felt like a genuine possibility, we kept coming back to permutations of the deal where Cano was a key component,” Snyder said.

Do you know how many players Elias sees and has seen that he would like in the organization? 

Povich was the prize/main piece in the deal. It’s possible he valued Cano over the best DR lottery ticket.

Many nights, I can lay in bed at night and listen to coyotes howl. Not sure why they howl but they do back and forth for some time. Then I can come on OH, find a thread like this. I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but this is getting howlish. Don't stop now, cause I'm hooked following this to see who gets the last howl? 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

There is no proof, which has already been said.  It’s just an opinion, as I said a few posts later.

Sorry, I didn’t see your subsequent posts when I made my post.  I had my eyes dilated this afternoon, and I’m still having a bit of trouble reading stuff.  I share your opinion that Povich was probably the lead piece of the trade.  I couldn’t guess how the other three were ranked.  I think calling Cano an afterthought or a throw-in is too strong though.  Anyway, I’m happy we got him. 

5 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

Many nights, I can lay in bed at night and listen to coyotes howl. Not sure why they howl but they do back and forth for some time. Then I can come on OH, find a thread like this. I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but this is getting howlish. Don't stop now, cause I'm hooked following this to see who gets the last howl? 

I got Owls, they get to hooting.