Soto to Padres

yark14

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
On 9/16/2022 at 6:29 PM, Frobby said:

It would sort of make me happy if Soto’s performance the next couple of years resulted in him earning far less than the $450 mm he turned down from the Nats.  

I shouldn’t underestimate Cohen, but yeah, he may not see that $450M after 2024.

For giggles, Abrams and Gore are combining for 0.6 WAR while Soto is at 0.5. - not that it matters this early in the season.

But it got me thinking. Soto is at 0.5 with an OPS of .720 and OPS+ of 106. Jordan Walker, who got demoted today, has a .718 OPS and an OPS + of 101. His WAR is -0.4.  How does that make sense?

26 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

But it got me thinking. Soto is at 0.5 with an OPS of .720 and OPS+ of 106. Jordan Walker, who got demoted today, has a .718 OPS and an OPS + of 101. His WAR is -0.4.  How does that make sense?

Walker has -5 rDRS, which is about -0.5 rWAR.  Also worse baserunning and a slightly worse bat.  I’m guessing it’s the bad defense that got him demoted.  

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Chavez Ravine said:

Soto currently has a pedestrian .776 OPS, plus I just watched him boot a languid fly ball that was ruled a “double”.

I really don’t understand what’s happened to the guy.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hot Red Sox at cold Padres - Musgrove yields a 3-run HR top of 2nd, then Soto leads off bottom of 2nd with a HR against Sale to make it 3-1.

In the dugout, video catches Soto doing a posed photo with a teammate.    Musgrove comes around the corner, notices, and puts up his hand as if to photo bomb.    It might have been all in good fun, but in last week Musgrove did give some frustrated quotes about the recent run of bad play.

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I'm just glad the O's didn’t trade 1/2 their farm for him.

Me too, though he’s woken up a bit since the last posts in the thread. Currently at .879 OPS, 1.4 rWAR.  1.126 OPS the last 20 games.  The Padres are flailing though.  

Edited by Frobby

• 2 weeks later...