Poll: What’s your take on the Lopez trade

Frobby

What’s your take on the Lopez trade?  

161 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your take on the Lopez trade?

• Don’t like it - didn’t want to trade him
    • Don’t like it - the return wasn’t enough to trade him
    • Like it - the return was solid
    • I have no idea, ask me in a couple of years
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/06/22 at 23:57

5 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

Lopez could see his value increase, but it could also decrease. Relievers are too volatile to value them so highly when they haven’t even had a full season of success. If he continues into next year, maybe he has more value, but there’s a lot of risk you take with that. He was only a waiver pick up, so I’m happy to get what we can for him now. 

I don’t really see a reason to keep either of them. Bundy was a below average starter, and Lopez was an awful starter, but has seen a lot of success as a reliever this year. You put Bundy in the bullpen, maybe he makes that kind of jump too, but he was at least good enough to stay a starter. Bullpen pieces just aren’t as hard to find  as legitimate starters, so they have less value.  Lopez has a little more value to the team right now because he was the main piece of the bullpen on a winning team, but we have younger guys to replace him with. I’m really just happy that we were able to get what we could for both of them.

Middling relievers are volatile.  Very good to elite relievers are not.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

And, with his track record, there’s really no telling which one Lopez is right now. Plenty of guys have come out of nowhere to have great seasons in the bullpen and then fall off quickly. Or they get hurt. In general, pitchers are just too volatile to value that highly until they have multiple years of sustained success. 

1 minute ago, RarityFlaherty said:

And, with his track record, there’s really no telling which one Lopez is right now. Plenty of guys have come out of nowhere to have great seasons in the bullpen and then fall off quickly. Or they get hurt. In general, pitchers are just too volatile to value that highly until they have multiple years of sustained success. 

And again, his track record means nothing.

And I agree, he needs more years to have higher value.  That’s exactly my point.

And again, his track record means nothing.

And I agree, he needs more years to have higher value.  That’s exactly my point.

If you keep him hoping to trade him for higher value next year, even if you think his play definitely won’t fall off, you still run the risk of him getting hurt and being worth nothing. 

4 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

Should we trade GRod?  He now has had an injury, no ML sustained success and has high value as a prospect to acquire someone more experienced and with a track record.

Just now, RarityFlaherty said:

If you keep him hoping to trade him for higher value next year, even if you think his play definitely won’t fall off, you still run the risk of him getting hurt and being worth nothing. 

I’m good with that.  This return wasn’t such that I would be upset if this happens.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Seems like a tautological statement.  

Just to pick a name we all know, do you think Lopez will be better or worse than what we saw from Mychal Givens when he was with the Orioles?  Or, is he about on that same level!

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Seems like a tautological statement.  

Just to pick a name we all know, do you think Lopez will be better or worse than what we saw from Mychal Givens when he was with the Orioles?  Or, is he about on that same level!

Lopez has been better but Givens did have several good years.

Should we trade GRod?  He now has had an injury, no ML sustained success and has high value as a prospect to acquire someone more experienced and with a track record.

It really depends on what we’d get for him.     I would definitely trade him if we could get a TOR guy with multiple years of sustained success who isn’t old. But those guys are few and far between. 

2 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

It really depends on what we’d get for him.     I would definitely trade him if we could get a TOR guy with multiple years of sustained success who isn’t old. But those guys are few and far between. 

So, GRod for Pablo Lopez?  Or we should have moved him for Castillo?

2 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

If any of the four guys we got ends up being contributors on the major league team, I think you’ll feel a lot differently about this trade. 

Not really.  I believe in evaluation of the process and the situation at the time.

Not to mention, being a contributor isn’t really a big deal.  Kreihbel is a contributor.  If that’s what we end up with, who cares?

Just now, RarityFlaherty said:

It depends on the situation at the time, but both of those would have been great trades if we were legitimately in the hunt right now. 

We are legitimately in the hunt next year and they are/were available.

So, you are advocating trading GRod for Lopez this offseason?

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Lopez has been better but Givens did have several good years.

See, I consider Givens to be well above average (career ERA+ of 130) but there’s still been pretty big fluctuations from one year to another.  In my mind, Lopez will be about on the same level as a reliever in the long run.