Why Didn't the O's Trade Santander?

Aristotelian

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I think Hays or Mullins will be traded this offseason, because they can bring a much better return than Santander.  Santander is probably a slightly better hitter than Hays or Mullins although not as good defensively.  I'm thinking Mullins is going to be the one traded and that's why Phillips was picked up. 

I sincerely hope they don't trade Mullins. His defensive value shouldn't be overlooked, and while I don't spend time with the metrics, I watch virtually every game.  50+ years of watching baseball seriously tells me that there are a lot games won due the plays he makes. I'm totally happy w/his offensive output this season though I would like to get a better option in the leadoff spot. I'd also hate to trade Hays and then watch him turn into an all star now that he's been healthy for awhile.

Put Santander at DH, Stowers in RF, and Vavra at 2B/leadoff (at least part of the time.)

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I could see an offseason where we trade Mountcastle and Santander.  Not even for MLB SP, but to build the system. We’d then have a very Raysian type lineup.  A system full of hitters. A system becoming loaded with arms. Bare min part roll. 

It's so nice to be able to make calculated risk/strategic moves like this. Their missing offense could* be replaced and the defense could* be upgraded because of the pipeline. (*Could* the operative word and the calculated risk part)

Grow the bats, grow more bats, grow more bats... trade for (very) young arms, I guess.