Adam Dunn on our list?

BRob51

Adam Dunn isn't a long term solution.

You also want to go after Ackley in the draft, but he isnt a solid solution at 1B because he doesnt project to have a lot of power.

As for options at first base...

1) Salazar: could provide decent pop for cheap price

2) Scott: Trembley alluded to trying Scott at 1B in 2009 to make room for Montanez/Reimold

3) Snyder

It isnt like we dont have options. They are actually pretty good options to.

Dunn just turned 29, thats 4-5 years of solid production most likely. Also, Ackley has gotten a few Chase Utley comps, so that's pretty decent power.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dunn just turned 29, thats 4-5 years of solid production most likely. Also, Ackley has gotten a few Chase Utley comps, so that's pretty decent power.
What if Ackley does not fall to us then what? Just like we did not take Smoak which was terrible because, I really wanted him. If we ink Dunn yes we would have 4-5 years of 40+ Homers each year hopefully he would thrive at Camden Yard. I want to ink him so bad i would give him between 10-20 mill a year. I just can't see us doing it though. We really need to fill that 1B/DH postion with a solid hitter. Yes we have Huff but, Wouldn't it look nice Huff/Dunn that could be a 70 homer combo a year. Also if Mora does retire and we still have Huff he can play third. Are hot corners are weak Minor League wise and Major League wise.

Remember, Dunn wasn't offered arbitration, so we don't lose any picks if we acquire him.

I still think Anaheim, DC and maybe even Boston would be willing to go higher than us but we should definitely look into it.

Teams like Seattle and the Giants are also teams to look out for.

Dunn recently said the Cubs are the #1 team on his list.

The Angels are unlikely to get involved since they said they're set at OF, and Dunn is not the type of player they like. Highly doubt Boston goes after him as well since he weakens their defense quite a bit. DC is certainly a possibility.

The Cubs may get Bradley instead, who is another guy I'd be interested in, although I don't think I'm in the majority on that one.

T81, I jusr knew you would find a way to blame the FO for not signing Tex. Look at it ths way. I beleive Tex had in mind to sign with the Yankees all along. What i saw was the O's offered 7 for 150. If it was for 140 Tex still gets 20 per year. Some of you guys are bashng Andy M. over the news from BB. What BB has heard does not mean it will happen. Like he says take it for what it is worth. We all know Andy M. keeps thing close to the vest. We don't know what he has done or not done. It is getting pathetic. Some are so ready to bash Andy M. when thye just odn't know what goes on behind closed doors in the FO. I can wait to see what happens. Geez. Damn Hell ST isn't even here yet.

T81, I jusr knew you would find a way to blame the FO for not signing Tex. Look at it ths way. I beleive Tex had in mind to sign with the Yankees all along. What i saw was the O's offered 7 for 150. If it was for 140 Tex still gets 20 per year. Some of you guys are bashng Andy M. over the news from BB. What BB has heard does not mean it will happen. Like he says take it for what it is worth. We all know Andy M. keeps thing close to the vest. We don't know what he has done or not done. It is getting pathetic. Some are so ready to bash Andy M. when thye just odn't know what goes on behind closed doors in the FO. I can wait to see what happens. Geez. Damn Hell ST isn't even here yet.

MacPhail needs to be straight and open with the fans. If he didn't want to pay the price for Teixeira, he should have never got into the bidding in the first place. At least he would have ended hopes right then and there instead of increasing expectations and giving fans hope only to crush it. That was 10 times worse than the previous situation.

If they really wanted Tex, they would have at least offered 8/160 off of the bat as that is what everybody else offered and they should have raised the offer at some point.

Eventually people will realize now why MacPhail is here when first Roberts then Markakis is dealt....

MacPhail needs to be straight and open with the fans. If he didn't want to pay the price for Teixeira, he should have never got into the bidding in the first place. At least he would have ended hopes right then and there instead of increasing expectations and giving fans hope only to crush it. That was 10 times worse than the previous situation.

If they really wanted Tex, they would have at least offered 8/160 off of the bat as that is what everybody else offered and they should have raised the offer at some point.

Eventually people will realize now why MacPhail is here when first Roberts then Markakis is dealt....

I have to disagree...the O's fans would have descended on the warehouse with torches if McPhail had said from the get-go that the Orioles weren't going to be involved with the Teixeira bidding...especially given that he wound up with the Yankees.

Basically, IMO, Andy did the only thing he could do; namely, involve the O's in the process, and hope that Tex actually had an innate desire to play in Baltimore. If the Yankees were the dark horse favorite all along, there wasn't much that McPhail could have reasonably done to combat that situation short of selling the farm, the outhouse, and every car in the guest parking lots in order to outbid New York.

I'd be happy with Guthrie, Liz, Olson, Albers, Patton, Waters, Burres, whoever. Let people play some more, get more experience, we have nothing to lose, which is why I'd've rather tendered an offer to D-Cab. If you can pick up some young guys with a bit of upside left for a nice price (Bailey, Hill, Sonnanstine, etc.) go for it. I think giving Liz, Olson, Albers and Penn a pressure-free year of ML experience could end up in two or three of them turning a corner.

That was a token offer IMO as MacPhail never seriously pursued Tex because he was too expensive. It took 8/180 to sign him for the team he supposedly wanted to play for and we were 1 year and 40 million short and were the only team not to offer an 8th year. You do the math on that one. I'll stop there because the point has been beaten to death...

Man, I wish he'd taken his apparent decision that Teixeira was too expensive and then, instead of sticking to his offer, overpaid. Bad luck for us I guess.

Dunn would likely be at first or DH for anyone, unless the Cubs decide to sign him.

I think Dunn may be limited to AL teams..but that is just a guess.

Hopefully BRob is dealt.

I don't think Dunn is anywhere on the Cubs' radar. Tim Dierkes (MLBTR) basically said that Dunn can't play RF, so obviously he's a better fit as LF/1B/DH. I don't know where he'll end up, but I would think DH is perfect for him.

No price would have gotten Tex here, well, maybe 8/200, but that would be just stupid. You keep blaming MacPhail for not being aggressive enough, how about blaming Tex for making bogus comments about playing here, when in reallity, he really wanted to be a Yankee.

I don't think Dunn is anywhere on the Cubs' radar. Tim Dierkes (MLBTR) basically said that Dunn can't play RF, so obviously he's a better fit as LF/1B/DH. I don't know where he'll end up, but I would think DH is perfect for him.

It might come down to a bid war between Nats and O's. It would be funny though trying to watch Dunn catch a ball at Wrigley.

How do you know this??

This is getting old....Tex took 40 million less from the Yanks. It isn't reality that he wanted to play for the Yanks.

Did Arod always want to be a Texas Ranger? Did Beltran always want to be a New York Met? How about Delgado...did he always want to be a Florida Marlin?

It took Tex less than 24 hrs to accept the offer the Yankees put out there, thats how i know.

Archived