Palmer on Mullins and Mountcastle offensive problems

wildcard

Jim Palmer was saying on the game boardcast that the change in hitting coaches might have something to do with Mullins and Mountcastles problems at the plate this season.  He was not saying the Fuller/Borgschulte's instruction is bad.   Just that it might not work for everyone.

He also pointed out how young the two hitting coaches are.

He said that Mullins and Mouncastle may have responded better to  Don Long,

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 1

• wildcard changed the title to Palmer on Mullins and Mountcastle offensive problems

Total speculation and I don't buy it.    Neither hitter has even attempted to be more selective at the plate.   They are actually less selective this year.  I think Mullins just felt the pressure to duplicate last year and I do think the league adjusted to him a bit after the 1st half of last year.   Mountcastle is what he is.   He hasn't changed since last year.   He'll get hot again and wind up about the same as last year, most likely.

I love Palmer but he talks a lot and sometimes he just talks to talk.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The only way there is validity to this, at list validity that is beyond just regular speculation, is if these guys privately told Palmer something.

If that were true the hitters would have told it to Palmer in confidence and Palmer would have said it in a more general way as not to name the players.   Don't buy it.  

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The only way there is validity to this, at list validity that is beyond just regular speculation, is if these guys privately told Palmer something.

Agreed. Even then, they've been in the majors long enough, what can a hitting coach screw up on them?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Watching the approach of Adley and Vavra, they would be smart to listen to the younger hitting coaches.  If there is an adjustment period, so be it.

I'm of the belief that you can't teach old dogs new tricks.  There are always exceptions but Mullins and Mountastle, and for that matter, Hays are what they are.  Aggressive hitters, moreso in the case of Mountcastle and Hays.   They are in swing mode until, hopefully, the pitcher makes a mistake.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Who are they kidding? Mountcastle is uncoachable, always has been.

I noticed the Reds were shifting on Mullins. I'd like to see him hitting to the left side both to take away the shift and to get his swing on track.

Mullins has been hitting to LF but sure he could/should do it even more probably.    

Mullins just rolls over too many pitches with weak contact. As stated, Mountcastle is who he is, but right now he isn't even barreling up pitches he usually crushes.  Elias will trade Mullins if value is there, Mountcastle has to produce power in the middle of lineup to be valuable to the O's.

5 minutes ago, oldfan said:

Mullins just rolls over too many pitches with weak contact. As stated, Mountcastle is who he is, but right now he isn't even barreling up pitches he usually crushes.  Elias will trade Mullins if value is there, Mountcastle has to produce power in the middle of lineup to be valuable to the O's.

I definitely get the feeling that Rutschman was ground zero.   Everyone who was here before him will be gone within the next 2 years.

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 1