Palmer on Mullins and Mountcastle offensive problems

wildcard

2 minutes ago, waroriole said:

.296 OBP and .728 OPS. Is that good? Does he need to play every day? Let’s see Vavra get some ABs at 1B. 

This is why there is plenty of room for Stowers.  Outside of Santander, at the moment at least, no one is hitting.  Stowers can easily play all around 4-5 times a week.

Not to mention Hays should be going on the IL.

Edited by Sports Guy

As much as Mountcastle's style annoys me, you have to hope the hot streak that brings his OPS back into the .800 range is coming soon.  Really, Hays and Mountcastle SHOULD get hot soon.  He isn't going to be benched anytime soon.

Hate to say it but the same thinking goes for Odor.  He hit the ball hard last night.  Two hard outs and a just missed 3-run homer on a foul ball.  His time is running out but he might still have one of his nine lives remaining. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/5/2022 at 6:29 AM, Frobby said:

Read the sentence again.  Oh, and there’s also a typo, but that’s not what I’m talking about.  This isn’t subtle.  

I'm not following here. Are you saying Palmer is not being subtle on the real issues?

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

This is why there is plenty of room for Stowers.  Outside of Santander, at the moment at least, no one is hitting.  Stowers can easily play all around 4-5 times a week.

Not to mention Hays should be going on the IL.

Yeah definitely agree about Stowers. The only logical explanation for his absence is they’re trying to maintain his rookie status for next season. But even that seems unnecessary. You’ll already have Grayson and Gunnar who will be rookies next year. 

6 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Yeah definitely agree about Stowers. The only logical explanation for his absence is they’re trying to maintain his rookie status for next season. But even that seems unnecessary. You’ll already have Grayson and Gunnar who will be rookies next year. 

Service time manipulation.

Even with "marginal" players.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

As much as Mountcastle's style annoys me, you have to hope the hot streak that brings his OPS back into the .800 range is coming soon.  Really, Hays and Mountcastle SHOULD get hot soon.  He isn't going to be benched anytime soon.

Hate to say it but the same thinking goes for Odor.  He hit the ball hard last night.  Two hard outs and a just missed 3-run homer on a foul ball.  His time is running out but he might still have one of his nine lives remaining. 

I don't think Odor is necessarily due to get hot soon. He's shown over prolonged stretches since 2019 that he's not only a sub-.200 (or .210 at best) hitter, but also one of the worst hitters in baseball to the point of being released by both the Rangers and the Yankees.

14 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

I don't think Odor is necessarily due to get hot soon. He's shown over prolonged stretches since 2019 that he's not only a sub-.200 (or .210 at best) hitter, but also one of the worst hitters in baseball to the point of being released by both the Rangers and the Yankees.

I don't disagree but he usually hits a few more homers.  I do think he's real close to getting benched or released.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm not following here. Are you saying Palmer is not being subtle on the real issues?

Wildcard has edited his post now.   It originally referred to the change in “pitching coaches” being the cause of Mullins’ and Mountcastle’s struggles.   That obviously wasn’t what he meant to say.  

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't know.

I think we'll find out when Stowers gets called up for an extended stay.

I think the current roster is what is keeping Stowers from getting called up.   Vavra and Rutchsman sharing DH.   If Hays were to go on the DL, he might get the callup (it would say a lot of they used a McKenna/Phillps platoon instead).