Do you believe the O's will call up Henderson this season?

interloper

Do you believe the O's will call up Henderson this season?  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe the O's will call up Henderson this season?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/01/22 at 17:26

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think winning is the primary goal of ownership.

The reason I find this so interesting is because I could see ownership actually pushing to make the most of this little attendance/hype/profit boost. And the easiest way to do that post-deadline is to call up a prospect for an obvious need to extend how long the club can challenge for that wild card spot. I'm not saying there's a very good chance of this scenario playing out like this, I'm just saying it's an interesting thought.

And from Elias' standpoint, it could make sense to get a look at Henderson this year so you know whether or not to buy a 3B this off-season. 

Edited by interloper

The problem with Stowers as a stand-in for Henderson here is just that he doesn't provide a boost to the team, really. It would be great to have him here because he's earned it, but speaking in wild card push terms, he doesn't add a lot unless an OF gets injured. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

I don't think Elias takes the job unless he has total control over decisions like this.

I voted no because I don't think so, but Vavra is getting big league AB. So, I wouldn't be surprised if he was.

If ownership calls Elias up and says promote Henderson do you think he tells them no?

I voted no, but it won’t shock me if they do.   I think if service time were the only issue, they’d override it and pull the trigger.   But the fact that they’d have to  add him to the 40 could be a real issue, since they have several must-adds this winter and Henderson doesn’t have to be added.   That said, if the team’s position is as good or better in three weeks as it is right now, they may just have to pull the trigger.   

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I voted no, but it won’t shock me if they do.   I think if service time were the only issue, they’d override it and pull the trigger.   But the fact that they’d have to  add him to the 40 could be a real issue, since they have several must-adds this winter and Henderson doesn’t have to be added.   That said, if the team’s position is as good or better in three weeks as it is right now, they may just have to pull the trigger.   

This is a great point about the 40-man. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

This is a great point about the 40-man. 

On the other hand, Elias did say it's liftoff time, so maybe he'll start putting the best players on the team sooner than we think. Just because we have to add guys to protect them doesn't mean there isn't room for Henderson and those guys. It will be tight though. 

I'm saying no, but more because of the 40 man issue, and that I don't think Elias is planning to push for the playoffs this year. I think he's on the OD roster next year, so the service time issue is moot (as long as they wait until after mid-august). That said, if the club is still in the thick of it on Sept 1, I wouldn't be totally surprised if it happened. 

I also think Henderson probably wouldn't make as much of a difference to this years team as some of you probably hope. Counting on a prospect offensively off the bat tends to lead to disappointment, and Urias is playing a good def 3b (and I'm not sure how good he'll be at 2b)