Friday August 5th, Pirates visit the yard

RVAOsFan

1 minute ago, spleen1015 said:

They're the lowest scoring team in MLB. We really shouldn't have any issues taking 2 of these games.

On paper, but you're just increasing the chance every time you waste opportunities.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Only in those 3- day slow pitch softball tournaments
    • I'm saying average of $60mil increase per year, not year over year.  So you can add two players at 3 years/$30mil or 3 players for 3 years/$20mil or some variation of that.  Basically, I'm saying I think our payroll could be at ~$110 mil next year, and then after that, allow for year over year arb increases and minor addition/subtractions that put it ~140-150mil in 2025.
    • I can see lots of problems with deriving much from the averages. Multiple factors dictate how much steam a guy might put on each throw and the outfielders get running starts.  If an infielder is throwing an upper 80's fastball to first base on a regular basis, I'd say that's pretty good.  Urias may not have the best arm but from what I've seen he rarely short hops the first baseman.  He's accurate and I think his other fielding metrics support that he has plenty of arm for the position.  This stuff is interesting to see, nonetheless. 
    • Does Hays wanna convert to pitching?  Maybe then we wouldn't have to watch him flail away at sliders all summer. The one surprise here for me is Urias, I would have thought he would be closer to the top rather than closer to the bottom.  I don't think he has a hose but I always figured his arm was really good.  
    • And 36 in Houston, 35 in Colorado, 32 in Anaheim, 31 in Texas and 30 in Milwaukee.  Which all makes him a valuable trade piece in my opinion. 
    • Me too.   But, it’s nice to know he’s healthy and pitching again.   I’d say next year is make or break for him in terms of regaining prospect status.  Now that he’s healthy he can work on the things he needs to improve.   One thing I always liked about him was the ability to eat innings without throwing a ton of pitches.  Of course I realize that may not carry over or lead to success at the upper levels of the minors and the majors.  But, it made it fun to follow him when he pitched.    
    • So statcast finally put out arm strength data and there are some noteworthy achievements by Orioles.  This is how Statcast comes up with their data: Statcast position player arm strength metrics are available beginning with the 2020 season. Given that there is no rulebook definition of "a throw where the player is trying hard," and many non-competitive lobs are captured, we have elected to take the average of the top portion of a player's throws. Since the demands of each position grouping are different, the averages and qualifiers are different as well. 1B -- average of top 1% of throws -- minimum 100 throws to qualify 2B/SS/3B -- average of top 5% of throws -- minimum 75 throws to qualify OF -- average of top 10% of throws -- minimum 50 throws to qualify 1. Austin Hays was one of 13 position players (all Outfielders) to throw 100 MPH of more. He had the 11th hardest throw at 100.6 MPH. His 91.8 MPH average was 28th in the league. 2. Ryan Mckenna had the next hardest throw at 96.3 MPH, good for 47th. 3. Surprisingly, Jorge Mateo's fastest throw was only 91.9 MPH, good for 14th best throw among SS. His 86.9 MPH avg was god for 10th place. 4. At 2B, Rougned Odor's top 88.4 MPH throw was only good for 25th place but his 85 MPH average was good for 10th best among 2B. 5. Despite his great OAA numbers and dWAr, Ramon Urias' 87.3 MPH was only 30th among 3B, and his 82 MPH avg but him 29th, making his arm a bit below average. BTW, his 2021 numbers at SS (max 82.2 MPH was 56th of 58 that qualified and his average of 79.9 was 47th) explaining why the Orioles did not want him at SS any longer. 6. In things that surprise no one, Mountcastle max 77.3 MPH throw is 43rd of 54 who qualified and his 73.4 avg is 40th among 54 giving him a well below average arm for a 1B. 7. Mullins 95.2 MPH was just 33rd in the league but his 86 average was 40th among 54 who qualified in CF.  8.  Santander's 91.7 mph best was just 40th best out of 43 that qualified. His 86.8 MPH avg with just 30th best. Here are the numbers for the qualified Orioles (100 throws is the lowest is goes) in 2022: https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderboard/arm-strength?year=2022&minThrows=100&pos=&team=110 2021: https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderboard/arm-strength?year=2021&minThrows=100&pos=&team=110 2020: (Take these with a grain of salt) https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderboard/arm-strength?year=2020&minThrows=100&pos=&team=110
  • Popular Contributors