Mike Mussina’s comments on the new wall in LF

Frobby

7 hours ago, Gurgi said:

My bitterness toward Mussina has calmed some.   But something about him still just pisses me off.  In New York he was just another pitcher.  Not even revered.  In Baltimore if he had stayed he would be be talked about as a legend with hushed tones.  He will get nothing like that in New York.  He was never even the best pitcher on the team when he was there.  

Does he make the Hall as a career Oriole?

He get a statue?

5 minutes ago, foxfield said:

He did not. So he will not. 

But if yours asking would he have if he stayed?  Absolutely 

I think it likely, with how long it took him to get voted in that he would not have made the HoF as a career Oriole.  

You got a guy with no Cy Youngs, no 20 win seasons, no ring,  who isn't in the Hall and you are giving him a statue?   I don't agree.

On 8/5/2022 at 8:40 PM, spleen1015 said:

Watching the Astros game just now for Mancini's 3rd AB, the announcers mentioned that he had 11 HR before coming to Houston and would've had 11 more had they not moved the wall back. 😬

One thing about the wall - I have to believe its going to make it VERY hard for the O's to lure right handed power hitters in free agency. Why would anyone choose to come to Baltimore if they know their stats will be artificially suppressed which will cost them money in their next contract?

8 minutes ago, bluedog said:

One thing about the wall - I have to believe its going to make it VERY hard for the O's to lure right handed power hitters in free agency. Why would anyone choose to come to Baltimore if they know their stats will be artificially suppressed which will cost them money in their next contract?

It won't cost them money.

Might bruise their ego.

You offer them the best terms and you have a really good chance to sign them.

11 hours ago, Greenpastures23 said:

And then you add the fact that it's going to be tough as crap to attract power hitting hitters on that side

And the old dimensions were unattractive to free agent pitchers.

Between RH sluggers and good pitchers, I know who'd I'd be more focused on bringing in if I had our current team and minors composition.  And it's not the sluggers.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, bluedog said:

I think you’re missing the point. The Os want LH hitters, like Henderson, Stowers, Cowser, Mullins, Vavra, Kjerstad and Beavers. I think they created a clear incongruity that they can prepare for while it’s just not worth it for other teams to do so. Basically, a home field advantage that isn’t a disadvantage on the road.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Greenpastures23 said:

Let's be real here. Even Stevie Wonder can see they screwed up the aesthetics so bad.  IMO it's not the best park anymore, at least visually.

And then you add the fact that it's going to be tough as crap to attract power hitting hitters on that side

The first part of your statement is one shared by several people, and I for one still not a fan of how it looks compared to the shorter fence. 

However, you second part is interesting, not in that I agree with it, but that it fits with how they've drafted. They've heavily invested in hitting prospects so it's probable that they will need to attract top end starting pitchers, not hitters most likely.

The Orioles never were able to find starting pitchers who would come here unless they were grossly overpaid. Ubaldo and Cobb comes to mind as guys who really were not a fit here and Bundy as well do to their flyball tendencies and the short left field porch, particularly in the the left field power alley.

It's pretty apparent to me now, that the longer fences have benefited the Orioles this year though I don't know if anyone has done true analysis on the affect of moving it back so far. While it has hurt Mountcastle and Hays a bit I'm sure, I think overall it has created a place where our pitchers are not afraid to attack hitters, particularly right-handed hitters.

Grant it winning has helped, but I kinda like how Camden Yards has played this year once we got out of soggy April and the beginning of May.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2022 at 2:40 AM, spleen1015 said:

Watching the Astros game just now for Mancini's 3rd AB, the announcers mentioned that he had 11 HR before coming to Houston and would've had 11 more had they not moved the wall back. 😬

I thought it was ironic that the first homer Trey hit for the Astros in Houston wouldn’t have been a homer at Camden. 

11 hours ago, Gurgi said:

My bitterness toward Mussina has calmed some.   But something about him still just pisses me off.  In New York he was just another pitcher.  Not even revered.  In Baltimore if he had stayed he would be be talked about as a legend with hushed tones.  He will get nothing like that in New York.  He was never even the best pitcher on the team when he was there.  

That is what he gave up. That was always my biggest issue with Mu$$ina is that he never wanted that. He never wanted that for himself and trust me, he could have cared twi squats what Orioles fans wanted. 

I've told this story many times, but his brother was close to the WNST guys back when I would go into the studio for shows with Bob Haynie, and Mussina's own brother would talk about how aloof he was and how he didn't want to be the number one guy but preferred to go where he wouldn't have that burden. New York was perfect for him because he could slide in as the #3 pitcher, it was fairly close to his home in PA, and they would pay him the most money.

My entire problem with Mu$$ina is that he never wanted the legacy he could have had if he stayed with the Orioles. He's an afterthought in Yankees lure, but he would have perhaps surpassed or at least been up there with Jim Palmer as the greatest Orioles pitcher ever.

Instead, he's a guy on a plaque in the Hall of Very Good with no team hat on, which is some apropos for him. He was always on team Mu$$ina and that's why I'm not a fan of him.

Now maybe he's mellowed over the years and he could very well be a different person than the one his brother talked about all those years ago, so I don't dislike Mu$$ina as a person because I don't know him. But I will never, ever cheer for him and while I wouldn't boo him either, I'd prefer they give other players more opportunity to throw out first pitches like Adam Jones and Melvin More, who were Oriole-Orioles in my mind.

2 hours ago, LookinUp said:

I think you’re missing the point. The Os want LH hitters, like Henderson, Stowers, Cowser, Mullins, Vavra, Kjerstad and Beavers. I think they created a clear incongruity that they can prepare for while it’s just not worth it for other teams to do so. Basically, a home field advantage that isn’t a disadvantage on the road.

The Orioles heavily drafting left-handed hitters over the years was not a coincidence. Now the entire team won't be left-handed because the Orioles play 81 games in other parks, but it's not surprising at all that their top pick have all been either switch-hitters or left-handed hitters.

I don’t know, Tony. Aloof can be another way of saying ‘shy’. Palmer loves being The Guy and people talking about him / talking about himself. You don’t pose as a human bearskin rug in underwear ads if you’re not supremely comfortable with yourself.  And that’s great. But maybe Mike didn’t want that.

I hate that Mussina went to the Yankees, but as you said, it did ease up the pressure to be the number one guy that everybody turns to. 

On 8/5/2022 at 9:51 PM, Chaka Garcia said:

My favorite O’s pitcher all time, can’t say anything bad about him. Wished he won at least one Cy Young during his time here - looking back seemed like he was robbed.

Mine too.  Which is why him leaving for the MFY's is one of the most depressing things that I have ever experienced as a sports fan in my lifetime.